Ivey MBA (Univ of Western Ontario, Canada)

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
hi,

I am planning to apply for a.m. school and read that their avg gmat is around 620. I did a practice test from gmat site and scored 520.

I have 10+ years of mgmt accounting experience, undergrad in Finance from JMSB Concordia Montreal, strong reference letters from prev employers (AstraZeneca & Mercedes Benz) , VP of Alternative investment society of Concordia , Volunteer with meals of wheels for past couple of years, GPA of 3.4, and good essays.

Particularly i have scored very well on case based classes in the undergrad and have got above average feedback from my case class teachers who would be glad to give me reference if required and one of them is Ivey MBA.

I am wondering if i should go ahead with my planned GMAT date (31-mar) and score somewhere near 500-550 or delay and prepare well.

My reasons of delaying is not to apply and get rejected. Second Ivey might take avg of two gmat scores.

Reasons of going now is to save 1 year. I am already 42.

Could you help me in this pls,

zafar

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:25 am
Dear Zafar,

I think you need to take the GMAT when you feel you are best prepared. If you feel you will be ready by March 31, then take the test that day. If you feel it will not be a reflection of your abilities as you do not have enough time to prepare, then you might want to delay the test. If you are significantly below the school's average GMAT, it will be very tough to gain admission--even with the amount of professional experience you have. I think you might want also to talk with an admissions professional at Ivey and try to get an idea of how viable you will be with a GMAT in the low 500's.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me