//ism and Past Perfect Question. Please help :)

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
The voluminous personal papers of Thomas Alva Edison reveal that his inventions typically sprang to life not in a flash of inspiration but evolved slowly from previous works.
(A) sprang to life not in a flash of inspiration but evolved slowly
(B) sprang to life not in a flash of inspiration but were slowly evolved
(C) did not spring to life in a flash of inspiration but evolved slowly
(D) did not spring to life in a flash of inspiration but had slowly evolved
(E) did not spring to life in a flash of inspiration but they were slowly evolved.

Answer is C

My Question:

According to the answer guide, the reason C is the right answer b/c "spring" is parallel to "evolved." "Spring" is in the infinitive and "evolved" is in the past tense, so why can it be in parallel? I understand in the idiomatic structure, Not X...But...Y, X and Y must be parallel. So...two elements can be parallel even if they are in different tenses?

My second question is "had slowly evolved" in D. I guess logically "had slowly evolved" makes sense here (Since the inventions evolve from a much earlier time period to an earlier time period), but is the reason it is wrong here b/c we need to preserve the parallelism of Not..X...But Y?

Thanks!

Legendary Member
Followed by:53 members

by Frankenstein » Sat May 21, 2011 9:08 am
Hi,
'did not spring' is parallel to 'evolved'. 'did not spring' is simple past, 'do/does not spring' is simple present. Hope, this answers your query.

Cheers!

Legendary Member
Followed by:53 members

by Frankenstein » Sat May 21, 2011 9:10 am
Past perfect is used only when two things happen at different times in the past. But, in this case there is no such thing. Hence, simple past is sufficient.

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

GmatGuruNY's Link

by mundasingh123 » Sat May 21, 2011 11:48 am
Here is another question in which the use of past perfect has been advocated by Mitch GmatGuru nY
https://www.beatthegmat.com/og12-sequenc ... tml#365642
Why the use of past perfect not required in this question
The Papers tell us about an action that took place before the papers were written
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by OneTwoThreeFour » Sun May 22, 2011 5:55 pm
Thanks for the tips everyone! They were most helpful!