ISB and others - How do I fit in?

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

ISB and others - How do I fit in?

by dodgeforgmat » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:44 pm
Hi All,
I am an Indian Male with 9 years of experience in the IT industry. I am giving my GMAT in the first week of August and intend to apply for addmission to ISB and IIM A. I wanted an opinion on my profile and the chances of my profile getting a 'Look' by these B-Schools.

Education: Bachelor of Engineering from University of Mysore (This is a A-list university)
Percentages:
10th - 78
12th - 78
BE - 68
Co-curricular:
1. Cleared senior in Drawing and Painting from State Board.
2. Cleared senior in Typing from the State Board.
Work related:
1. 9 years of work experience in the IT industry
2. 3 years of overseas experience in the US.
3. Lead deliverables for a team of 15 people. Effectiveness of deliverables has been above 95% consistently. Attrition rate has been 0% for the past 3 years.
3. working for the same client for the past 5 years.
4. recipent of the START award give to 1% of the total 35000 strong workforce.
5. Core member of the Center of Excellence for matured practices.

Extracurricular:
1. Served the school band for 5 year. Bestowed with the title 'Melody' at school.
2. Led the school senior team in Kho-Kho and Cricket.
3. Played cricket at the 1st Divison level from KSCA.
4. Led the college cricket team during my final year of engineering.
5. General Secretary of the photographic club for the year 2000-2001 during my engineering.
6. Participated in the National Himalaya Winter Trek expedition at Mussorie in Dec 1999.
7. Paint with Acrylic and Oil on canvas. I sell some of my paintings at various forums.
8. Avid golfer. Started in 2008 in the US. Play to a handicap of 7.9. I have played on the Golf Channel Ameature Tour in 5 of their New York region tournaments.

Other Experiences:
1. Consultant in administering Psychometric analysis for senior executives at some of the top IT companies in Bangalore.
2. Consultant to a Top IT company in their campus recruitment initiative. I have done this for 3 years.
3. Help in Marketing, planning and operations of a small scale industry initiated by my Mother. This industry follows a co-operative model and has been established with an intention of providing employment to women in our native town.

Aim:
Short term: Gain expertise in real time business analystics, particularly in the supply chain domain with a strong focus on Asian Market.
Long term: Establish a strong Logistics and Supply Chain business model for Indian market that is self sustained and reusable complete with 'Reversed Business Intelligence'.

Requesting feedback on the fitment of my profile as a applicant to ISB and some of the other institues around the globe.
What GMAT score, coupled with the above profile, could get me a call for an interview with ISB.

Note: My current scores in the MGMAT practice tests avg about 680. My test date is 8th of August 2011.

Regards
Srini

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:60 members

by arun@crackverbal » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:48 am
1. Your profile would be considered "average" for the schools you are applying for. Don't get me wrong - those are impressive credentials but considering the kind of class that an IIM-A PGPX or an ISB has - this is on par.

2. GMAT is a make-or-break. Anything less than a 720-730 would be a worrisome number. For the Indian IT Male remember that 720 is the new 700.

3. The points mentioned under the headings of "Co-curricular", "Work related", and "Extra curricular" are actually on the weaker side.

4. However what you have mentioned in "Other Experiences" are very interesting. Your stories should deinitely be around these.

Net net a very good fitment in terms of numbers but your GMAT scores, and how you articulate yourself in the essays will be vital to your success.

All the best!

Arun

PS: For the uninitiated here are some stats about IIM-A PGPX class of 2011:

Parameter Average
GMAT 713.76
Total work experience 10 yrs 3 mths
International work experience 4 yrs 7 mths
Average Age 33 yrs 11 mths
Founder of CrackVerbal - India's fastest growing GMAT Prepration and MBA Admissions Consulting Company. https://gmat.crackverbal.com

Free Ebook on GMAT | GMAT Scoring, Study plan, top study mistakes etc
Download here: https://gmat.crackverbal.com/15-minute-gmat-guide

Good enough to get into Harvard? Or would be it ISB? Get a free profile report PDF mailed to you: https://applications.crackverbal.com/fre ... valuation/

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by hardikm » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:12 am
No direct formulae.
1. Define your goals very clearly.
2. GMAT: Atleast 700+ (Balance in score is preferred)
3. Don't put too much emphasis on activities that stretch too far such as your high school, undergraduate..
4. Highlight diversity in your application (Varied and diverse work)

Hope it helps.