Is this parallel?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Is this parallel?

by ilovemgmat » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:26 pm
-This person, who is hardworking and whose family was killed, is depressed.

(Can 'and' connect 'who' and 'whose'?)

- The cat which was lost and whose mother is still with us was very cute.

(Can 'and' connect 'which' and 'whose' here?. Also, would 'which' be replaced by 'that' as 'cat' is a living thing?)

I would really appreciate you help guys.

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:16 am
ilovemgmat wrote:-This person, who is hardworking and whose family was killed, is depressed.

(Can 'and' connect 'who' and 'whose'?)

Yes it's correct because who is the subject over here and whose is the object

- The cat which was lost and whose mother is still with us was very cute.

I think the usage of which is wrong over here because which is used for non restrictive clauses and over here was lost is a restrictive clause i.e an information which is necessary therefore, that should be used

(Can 'and' connect 'which' and 'whose' here?. Also, would 'which' be replaced by 'that' as 'cat' is a living thing?)

I would really appreciate you help guys.

Legendary Member
Followed by:8 members

by saketk » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:32 am
Hi-- I think we can add COMMAS to correct the sentence. The information inside the commas is an additional information about the cat which was very cute..

The cat, which was lost and whose mother is still with us, was very cute

by ilovemgmat » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:51 am
saketk wrote:Hi-- I think we can add COMMAS to correct the sentence. The information inside the commas is an additional information about the cat which was very cute..

The cat, which was lost and whose mother is still with us, was very cute
Thanks for the help! I am confused because "which was lost and whose mother is still with us" is an essential modifier that should not be separated by a comma, and so, "which" should be replaced by "that". But "The cat that was lost and whose mother is still with us was very cute" just sounds so awkward! Any additional ideas?

Legendary Member
Followed by:8 members

by saketk » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:19 am
What I think is that you need to know the context before deciding what's important. A simple sentence would also do.
The cat was very cute. This sentence looks good to me.
Also the one I posted (with commas, also looks good to me)
As far as awkwardness is concerned - I don't think adding 'that' would make the sentence awkward.
'that' and 'whose' are clearly referring to the cat. So, I think both versions are ok.
FYI when we use comma before 'which', it generally means that 'which' is pointing to the nearest noun before the comma.

by ilovemgmat » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:09 am
saketk wrote:What I think is that you need to know the context before deciding what's important. A simple sentence would also do.
The cat was very cute. This sentence looks good to me.
Also the one I posted (with commas, also looks good to me)
As far as awkwardness is concerned - I don't think adding 'that' would make the sentence awkward.
'that' and 'whose' are clearly referring to the cat. So, I think both versions are ok.
FYI when we use comma before 'which', it generally means that 'which' is pointing to the nearest noun before the comma.
MGMAT SC mentions that any essential modifier should not be separated by a comma and that in an essential modifier, "which" should be replaced by "that". My genuine concern- If we are using a comma and "which" here and if it's correct, what explanation makes this exception valid?
"Whoever one is, and wherever one is, one is always in the wrong if one is rude." ~Maurice Baring
Rudeness and sarcasm won't be entertained!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by crick » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:02 pm
The usage of which vs that based on essential and non-essential clauses is no longer followed in GMAT. Only the comma rule still holds : comma for a non-essential clause.

You will not have to choose between choices based on restrictiveness and which vs that.

Crick

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:6 members

by gunjan1208 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:50 pm
I agree to Crick.
See the example below: [
This cat,..........., with us] makes sense as when you say this cat, you are referring to thte subject already and rest all is additional information. Therefore, the sentence is correct.

Regards