Is the S-V agreement right?

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Is the S-V agreement right?

by mittalashwani13 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:05 am
Homeowners across the country are challenging their property tax bills in droves as the value of their homes drop, threatening local governments with another big drain on their budgets.

The above is an excerpt from NYTimes.com. The following is the link for the same.

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/05/busin ... 45u6k5Kb7Q

Could anyone pls help me understand the bold portion of the sentence? Does the subject [the value] agrees with the verb [drop]? Am I missing something here?

Thanks for the help.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by madhur_ahuja » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:11 am
I think it should be drops and not drop.

This is quoted from Manhattan SC:
In many expressions that designate quantities or parts, such as a number of, the subject of the sentence is in a of-prepositional phrase. These expressions provide the exception to the rule that subject cannot be in a prepositional phrase
It seems that one might argue that according to this rule, subject of the sentence would be homes and not value.

But I think, value is not designating the quantity here. It is a subject in itself.

by mittalashwani13 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:17 am
I think the subject is, for sure, "the value" and also I believe that this is a correct sentence but I'm unable to apply the rules of Standard English which I'm aware of.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:590

by nitya34 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:25 am
agreed@madhur
Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working.

by mittalashwani13 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:29 pm
Any opinions?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:06 am
the original poster is correct: the sentence in the linked page is 100% completely WRONG.

it should either be "...the VALUE of their homes DROPS" or "...the VALUES of their homes DROP".

either of these fixes would be grammatically correct, but the second makes more sense, as there are multiple values (not just one value).
but, yeah, the original is just butchered.

ah, the new york times.
you guys should actually be reading well written publications. ahem.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

by mittalashwani13 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:17 am
lunarpower wrote:the original poster is correct: the sentence in the linked page is 100% completely WRONG.

it should either be "...the VALUE of their homes DROPS" or "...the VALUES of their homes DROP".

either of these fixes would be grammatically correct, but the second makes more sense, as there are multiple values (not just one value).

ah, the new york times.
Thanks Ron for the reply...

until now, I considered NYTimes in the category of well-written publications ...

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:38 pm
mittalashwani13 wrote:
lunarpower wrote:the original poster is correct: the sentence in the linked page is 100% completely WRONG.

ah, the new york times.
Thanks Ron for the reply...

until now, I considered NYTimes in the category of well-written publications ...
i am of course exaggerating. the writing isn't horrible, but there are many more mistakes than you would expect from such an ostensibly august publication.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron