Is pre-test burnout a real possibility?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:730

Is pre-test burnout a real possibility?

by HHH » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:32 pm
Hi,

I am taking the real thing day after tomorrow i.e. Sunday (yes, I am from a part of the world that follows a Sun - Thu work week).

I had taken the GMAT in May 2009, and scored a 690 (Q47, V38). My target score was 700+. I sat for the test with about a month's preparation using OG, Vebal & Quant Guides, and GMAT Prep.

I felt I can do better and need to focus on my fundamentals. So I bought the Manhattan study guides and went through them (they are very good btw). I was planning to follow a systematic study plan, make notes, periodic CAT testing, etc. - none of that happened!!

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I have taken leave from office this week and have been studying throughout the day. I have started taking CATs also; scores are as follows:

MGMAT 1 690 (with AWA)
MGMAT 2 670 (felt very disheartened after this test)
MGMAT 3 700 (with AWA)
GPREP 1 730
MGMAT 4 740 (with AWA)

I was planning to take MGMAT 5 & 6, and GPREP 2 between today and tomorrow.

But, I already feel burnt out. Even as I taking the last CAT, I was thinking "oh god, I don't wanna do one more of this. I am too old for this" (I will probably be one of the more mature applicants - completed my undergrad in 1998). Last night, I was dreaming sentence correction questions!!!!

So, are these signs of a burnout? Have any of experienced this? What do you guys suggest I do today and tomorrow?

I want to be in top mental condition day after tomorrow. Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

HHH

GMAT Score:740

by aakaps » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:42 pm
I was in exactly same shoes on last wednesday and thursday!! Felt that I have done a bit overkill so didnt feel like touching the books :)

What I did--- well I didnt touch the books. Chilled out. Saw tv, read smthing and all. Did scan through the flashcard print outs to not feel outta the game. And after one full day of chilling out, next day I was kinda worried, so just for practise-sake, gave one test with AWA and all. Scored very low, but did not visit that test back as it was only to keep my mind ticking :lol:

And then flashcards here and there, but I think resting last day may help u relax and realise that GMAT is important but not end of the world. Sleep well both the days and keep your mind calm. Anxiety starts showing in the test!

Hope this helps you, it did help me as my test day journey was scary but my nerves were calm due to my above realisation about GMAT .

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:760

by GMATBootcamp » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:26 pm
taking 3 practice tests within the span of two days is pretty rough. Why not only take 1 test and spend the rest of the time analyzing wrong answers and reviewing notecards?

You seem to be scoring really well already. And at some point being well rested and mentally fresh is more important than having 100 different grammatical rules memorized.
Paul

Focused GMAT Preparation
www.thegmatbootcamp.com

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:770

by shadowsjc » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:00 pm
under no circumstances would i take more than 1 a day. i'd take a test every other day, and take one the last day before your test. dont do anything studying related on your actual test day though.

also, dont study much more per day than you're used to. if you normally study 4 hours per day, dont overdo it your last week and do 6 or 7 hours of studying per day.
my GMAT debrief: https://www.beatthegmat.com/came-through ... 44327.html

You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday.
A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right, but it will not come near you.

- Psalm 91: 5-7

GMAT Score:730

by HHH » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:05 am
Thanks guys...I have taken it easy since yesterday. Let's see what happens tomorrow.