Is my approach the best one? Pls critique!

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi all,

I'm determined to end my GMAT journey with my 3rd attempt. My previous attempts:

1) Aug 25 2009: 520 - forgot split, but something like: (Q 32, V 28)
On GMAT Prep I scored highest 570
2) Sept 18 2010: 490 - something like (Q 29, V 28)
(On GMAT Prep I scored 640, 650)

I'm aiming to do the exam Dec 2, 2010. Here's my strategy so far.... can you please critique - I am trying to do everything possible to reach my goal score of 620+ on this exam. Thanks in advance for looking through :)
-----

Analyze weakness:
- Verbal: SC, CR
- Quant: Felt like I was weak in all areas
- My timing sucked! (I only practiced timing 1 wk before the exam).

My Strategy:
1) Sept 19 - Oct 5: Went through MGMAT Strat Guides #1-3 in detail, including taking notes. I finished 1/2 of Strat Guide #4 (Word Translations), and then decided to jump right into OG 12, on advice from my tutor.

2) Oct 6 - First session with GMAT tutor. 2 hrs. We focused mainly on timing discussion and identified that square roots were a weakness of mine

3) Oct 7 - present. Started OG 12, and did the following so far:
1) Problem Solving section: Up to Q #88
2) Data Sufficiency section: Up to Q #23

4) .... What to do next ?

Weakness in prep so far:
- Haven't practiced a lot of Verbal yet. I know I need to get consistent and do 1 RC, 2 SC, 2 CR per day to get into practice mode

- How can I utilize my tutor better? So far, we had 1 class and I think future classes (4 more 2 hr sessions before exam) will be me doing hard quant q's with her and maybe an hr of CR discussion.

- What should I continue doing? Stop doing? My future plan was to finish OG 12 Quant qs by Oct 22, and also do verbal practice q's from OG 12 (finish half of verbal by Oct 22)

Advice appreciated!

Thanks

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:59 pm
Umm...tough question.

Although there are two verbal guides and two quant guides outside of OG, and there is also OG 11, I still don't like wasting OG questions before I fully understand how to approach them.

I guess if I were you, I would ask my tutor to list out my weaknesses base on her diagnosis, and then maybe spend more time working on those specific areas rather than going through OG aimlessly.

I knew I was weak in word translation and rate/work problems, but now I am actually pretty darn good in those areas because I worked on them so much.
Yep.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:74 members
GMAT Score:770

by Whitney Garner » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:03 pm
Hi Celestia!

I would definitely agree with uwhusky about saving OG problems. I also don't see a ton of benefit is working a slew of problems just to get through them. The key to this test is Pattern Recognition - can you see a problem and quickly identify the following:

1) the problem type (proportions, overlapping sets, modifier issues, draw a conclusion, etc)
2) best strategy for that problem type (equal proportions, double set matrix, "modifier tetris", etc)
3) a back-up strategy when possible (picking numbers...)
4) common pitfalls for the problem type (subsets in overlapping sets, relative pronouns, lead-in clauses, extreme conclusions, etc)

The way the best test takers become the best is by understanding the basic question types, knowing the strategies and applying that knowledge in new scenarios. The way to achieve that level of mastery is through quality over quantity. Choose the problem type you want to review (have your tutor help you identify this) and then pick a short set of OG questions from that type. Solve them all together in a short set but then use your review to look for links among the questions. Were there words or clues to tell you what type of problem it was? Did they all use a slight variation on the same theme. If you spend 2 minutes per question to answer them, you should be spending 3-4 minutes per question on the review (the place most people drop the ball). Then once you have reviewed them, do the same set over again right away. We didn't learn to walk by watching someone do it once and then trying it once. In order for things to imprint in our minds we HAVE to sit with them and repeat!

Pattern Recognition is also the key to improved timing: the best way to pick up the pace is to do a better job identifying the problem and the strategy quickly. In this way you buy yourself a bit more time to do the actual calculations or choice elimination without sacrificing steps and accuracy.

Your tutor is your best resource for identifying weaknesses, helping you make some of the pattern connections within problem types if they aren't clear and helping to refine your strategies for specific question types.

It is far better to choose the specific areas to study carefully and in depth than it is to just throw questions at your brain in the hopes that something sticks!!

Good luck with the process and keep on pushing!
:D
Whit
Whitney Garner
GMAT Instructor & Instructor Developer
Manhattan Prep

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Math is a lot like love - a simple idea that can easily get complicated :)