Is it worth the effort?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:730

Is it worth the effort?

by gtvisa2002 » Sun May 15, 2011 3:25 pm
Hi All,
I need some help in deciding whether doing MBA now would benefit (rather I would say will not hurt) me.

Background:
East Indian Male, 6 years exp in IT (for Pharmaceutical research companies). GMAT 730. GPA 3.26 (Out of 4).

Thought process:
I know what I want to do in my life. I have always envisioned myself as an entrepreneur, may be 10 or 20 years down the line. And I understand it's a lot easier said than done. So I have decided I will create a base and a good understanding of how to run a business and the critical factors involved in running it successfully (either a small or a large firm). I am very comfortable with the process of understanding what a client needs and delivering a product. But what I am missing is, the experience how you approach a potential client, convince, understand what a client wants, build and deliver the product. To put it simple, I would like to get the complete knowledge from the beginning to the end of the process.

Let's face it, no matter how hard I try to gain this experience, it will not be feasible within the structure of IT companies as long as I am a programmer. The reason is, from the company's perspective, it would not want to try it out with a guy who has no experience and loose a potential client. Even if they decide to give me a chance, it would not be in the next 8 or 10 years. So I have decided, doing an MBA would give me a better opportunity to dive into this process a little bit earlier. I was very determined that this is what I want, still is.

I have successfully crossed off two things from my to do list (GMAT and TOEFL). When I was doing the school research and trying to figure out the answers for questions such as Why MBA? Why now? for the application process, it turns out that I still have the doubt whether it is worth doing it now? Especially considering the cost factor

I understand it's an investment and it's a lot safer than any other investment (provided I go to a reputed school and the school provides all the things what I expect it to). But what if I end up as one of the 20% of grads who doesn't have a job by the end of 3rd month out of school? With a debt of $150K and without a job.... It is always good to chase your dreams. But am I just day-dreaming that doing a MBA will give the heads-up I need?

What I expect from you guys:
I am not expecting you to say I should go to school or not. I am seeking your inputs on what I could do to get my questions answered by self analysis.

1. May be you could suggest some books (such as "Rethinking MBA: Business education at cross roads", which I am reading now) which could help me to decide.
2. May be you could say what you would do if you were in my position and your reasons? Which would help me to look things in a different perspective
3. May be you could suggest the approach I can follow to find answers to my questions. May be you could provide me an example, a person you know who was in the same situation and the tools she/he used to decide.

Your inputs will definitely help me to save myself from the ordeal of going through the application process if I decide MBA is not for me at a later point.

I appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Ravindar.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:750

by Superduperstudent » Mon May 30, 2011 4:14 pm
Hi Ravindar,

It's great to see that you're really trying to find the right answer for yourself. What helps some people tremendously is to speak to alumni, preferably alumni that are similar to you or have similar ambitions to you. You may find out that life after the MBA is not what you thought it would be (working hard to pay off your loan, in a job that you like even less than what you're doing now), or that it is exactly what you hoped for (working in an entrepreneurial environment, using all those skills you hope to learn in business school). Contact the schools you are interested in, and ask them for the contact information for one or two of their graduates. Talk to them, and try to get a feel for what their experience is like.

Most alumni are really helpful and open about their experiences. They WILL help you!

Good luck!
Go to www.superduperstudent.com for GMAT tutoring and MBA application support!

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:30 am
I'm a huge proponent of doing your due diligence work for yourself as evidenced by my blog. I do not believe that anyone will be able to tell you what you should do in your position because quite frankly you've provided 0.0001% of your experiences in your blurb about yourself.

What you should do... or rather what I would do if I were in your position, is start the process. And by starting the process I mean - researching. That's always step one. Honestly, you're in a much better position than most because you have the GMAT out of the way, so that's not weighing you down and making you more stressed out. You can relax now and just start researching programs to see what they have to offer. Talk to as many people as you can who are A.) applying B.) may have graduate from said schools C.) admissions officers etc. I know that seems like a lot of work, but it must be done. And only after all of that will you figure out if an MBA is for you.

I know that between my friends and myself, by the time we hit submit for our applications we were 100% convinced that we needed to get an MBA. We only got to that point from an abnormal amount of research. We debated all of the things that you are debating now... but TRUST ME the research helps. Only you know you and what you really want in your life.

It may seem very mumbo jumbo...crock of Sh*t, but I've seen waaay too many good candidates with stellar stats who "should" have gotten in to a school - who were ultimately rejected. I've seen their essays and the conviction was just not there. These top schools want to see and feel a conviction as to why you must attend their school. If you don't start the research process now, then by the time you figure out that you may want to apply, you're going to be rushing to get in your applications and that is not the position you want to find yourself in. If while doing your research you decide that you don't want to apply this year or at all then what have you really lost? It would be better to do the research and then figure out you didn't want to apply than to not do the research because you're thinking about whether or not to apply and then end up on a short timeline.
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants