Is 1 week enough time to master the Maths?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Is 1 week enough time to master the Maths?

by layiwolo » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:21 am
Hi there,

I've decided to apply for business school however because of strict deadlines I must do it by 1st March. Now I've been revising since last week and have a good grasp of the verbal sections however I've looked at the maths section and it looks daunting, especially for someone who hasn't used maths in 6 years and needs to learn it in 7 days.

Is this possible or have I left it too late?
Is there any advice or help you can give?

Thank you

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:34 pm
layiwolo wrote:Hi there,

I've decided to apply for business school however because of strict deadlines I must do it by 1st March. Now I've been revising since last week and have a good grasp of the verbal sections however I've looked at the maths section and it looks daunting, especially for someone who hasn't used maths in 6 years and needs to learn it in 7 days.

Is this possible or have I left it too late?
Is there any advice or help you can give?

Thank you
That's a pretty tight deadline :-)

I recommend that you take a practice test immediately to see where you stand.

Free, official practice software can be downloaded at: https://www.mba.com/the-gmat/download-fr ... tware.aspx

Who knows, perhaps you already have the skills necessary to achieve your target score. At the same time, if you are presently very far from your target score, you'll be in a better position to determine your next step.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by layiwolo » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:24 pm
Dear Brent@GMATPrepNow thank you for the advice.

I have the OG and the GMAT Quantitative Review, would these be sufficient for learning the maths section in a week?

Thank you

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:41 pm
layiwolo wrote:Dear Brent@GMATPrepNow thank you for the advice.

I have the OG and the GMAT Quantitative Review, would these be sufficient for learning the maths section in a week?

Thank you
The answer to that question largely depends on your current skill level.
The two resources you mentioned are great for practice questions, but they don't spend much time covering GMAT-specific strategies and mathematical fundamentals. If you have several gaps in your content knowledge, you'll need some additional resources.

Have you taken a practice test yet to see where you currently stand?

Cheers,
Brent

by layiwolo » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:22 am
I took the practice test and I think I only got 3 questions right however I think I've just made the maths seem a lot harder then what it really is because I was very good at maths in school when I was younger.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:43 am
layiwolo wrote:I took the practice test and I think I only got 3 questions right however I think I've just made the maths seem a lot harder then what it really is because I was very good at maths in school when I was younger.
Did you take an official GMATPrep test (https://www.mba.com/the-gmat/download-fr ... tware.aspx) , or did you take the diagnostic test in the OG12? There's a big difference.

The GMATPrep test will give you a total score (between 200 and 800), which will give you a good idea of your level of preparedness for your test next week. Given that your test is so close, you should be taking several practice tests to build up your endurance for this (nearly) 4-hour test.

Cheers,
Brent

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by IJR » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:04 am
I just don't think it's enough time. Doesn't really matter if you were good at math when you are younger. One week is just so little time.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:10 am
IJR wrote:I just don't think it's enough time. Doesn't really matter if you were good at math when you are younger. One week is just so little time.
I agree - 1 weeks probably isn't enough time, but I've seen students who were able to achieve their target score with very little preparation. The only way we'll know it by taking an official practice test.

Cheers,
Brent

by layiwolo » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:22 am
Dear Brent,

I took the diagnostic test. I've changed my GMAT test date to give myself two extra weeks. I'm now debating between which maths supplement book I should buy.

Can you please give your recommendations on if I should either purchase the MGMAT Prep foundations in maths supplement or the Kaplin GMAT maths.

Thank you

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:32 am
layiwolo wrote:Dear Brent,

I took the diagnostic test. I've changed my GMAT test date to give myself two extra weeks. I'm now debating between which maths supplement book I should buy.

Can you please give your recommendations on if I should either purchase the MGMAT Prep foundations in maths supplement or the Kaplin GMAT maths.

Thank you
The diagnostic test in the OG isn't the greatest indication of your current abilities. I think it's important that you do a practice test. It will help identify the areas that need the most work. There are additional benefits to taking a full-length practice test now.

First, there's the endurance issue. Some students perform very well when they tackle GMAT questions in 30-minute increments, but, the real test is 3.5 hours long. With less than 3 weeks before your test, it's a good idea to start building your endurance right away.

Second, there's the timing issue. For almost everyone, timing is a huge issue on the GMAT. If you have poor time-management skills, your score will suffer a lot.

As far as recommending a math supplement, you'll have to ask other students or the company reps. As you might imagine, all of us Experts have our own marketing agendas :-)

Cheers,
Brent

by layiwolo » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:25 pm
Dear Brent,

Thank you for all your advice.

Will let you know if I Beat the GMAT

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Ashishkapoor7 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:05 am
Hi guys , I went through GMAT PREP NOW modules of inequalities and co-ordinate geometry, they are mind boggling , concepts cleared, am on to take GMAT.

Sincerely,
Ashish