iron work

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

iron work

by geet » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:55 pm
Over the course of the nineteenth century, the average output of ironwork tripled as a result of several improvements in blowing machinery and because coal replaced charcoal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore.

A. Over the course of the nineteenth century, the average output of ironwork tripled as a result of several improvements in blowing machinery and because coal replaced charcoal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore.

B. Over the course of the nineteenth century a tripling in the average output of ironwork was due to the replacement of charcoal by coal for the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore, in addition to several improvements in blowing machinery.

C. With charcoal’s being replaced by coal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore and several improvements in blowing machinery, the average output of ironwork tripled over the nineteenth century.

D. The replacement of charcoal with coal for the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore and several improvements in blowing machinery, the average output of ironwork tripled over the nineteenth century.

E. Charcoal being replaced by coal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore, and several improvements in blowing machinery, which tripled the average output of ironwork over the course of the nineteenth century.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by goelmohit2002 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:50 pm
IMO B.

A. Over the course of the nineteenth century, the average output of ironwork tripled as a result of several improvements in blowing machinery and because coal replaced charcoal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore.
because requires another because for parallelism.

B. Over the course of the nineteenth century a tripling in the average output of ironwork was due to the replacement of charcoal by coal for the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore, in addition to several improvements in blowing machinery.
Correct.

C. With charcoal’s being replaced by coal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore and several improvements in blowing machinery, the average output of ironwork tripled over the nineteenth century.
we do not need charcoal's...require chacoal. Being is wrongly used.

D. The replacement of charcoal with coal for the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore and several improvements in blowing machinery, the average output of ironwork tripled over the nineteenth century.
We need some opening modifier like "With" etc. before replacement...else sentence is incomplete...

Replacement...and improvements, the average...

No verb in the first clause..

E. Charcoal being replaced by coal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore, and several improvements in blowing machinery, which tripled the average output of ironwork over the course of the nineteenth century.
>>being is wrong....which wrongly refers to machinery.....or improvements....

GMAT Score:720

by dumb.doofus » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:07 pm
IMO A

A seems perfect. For two reasons:

1. "as a result of" means "due to". Due to is an adjectival prepositional phrase, meaning it modifies a noun. Here "as a result of" correctly modifies "output".

2. Usage of because: Here the reason is most important and to show case that we use because.

Both are correctly used in choice A.

B is incorrect: Awkward construction. "tripling".. "in addition to" and such words make this an awkward construction.

C] explained by Mohit.

D] explained by Mohit.

E] explained by Mohit (except the which part. which refers to blowing machinery)
Last edited by dumb.doofus on Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One love, one blood, one life. You got to do what you should.
https://dreambigdreamhigh.blocked/
https://gmattoughies.blocked/

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:680

by tohellandback » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:07 pm
IMO C
its between A and C
but in A because is redundant.
I hope I am not wrong
B IMO is wrong because
"Over the course of the nineteenth century a tripling in the average output of ironwork was due to the replacement of charcoal by coal for the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore, in addition to several improvements in blowing machinery. "
"in addition to" sounds like charcoal was replaced as a fuel in smelting of iron ore and as a fuel in several improvements in blowing machinery.
The powers of two are bloody impolite!!

Legendary Member

by mehravikas » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:52 pm
IMO - A

by PAB2706 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:04 pm
IMO A

I think as a result of is used exclusively for the improvements in machinery.....

because is used for a completely different fact ( coal replacing charcoal) and hence does not become redundant

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:700

by montz » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:12 pm
IMO A.

what is the OA?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by mittalashwani13 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:05 pm
A. Over the course of the nineteenth century, the average output of ironwork tripled as a resultof several improvements in blowing machinery and becausecoal replaced charcoal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore.
--- Redundant use of 'as a result' and 'because'

- CORRECT

- A&B are not parallel ... The replacement ...and several improvements...

--- 'being' is used incorrectly...

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:15 pm
As per my understanding if there is because following and....

then we need to have because earlier too...

i.e. X happened because Y and because Z.

here IMO because is missing before Y...

is it ok to break this rule....

or we do not require parallelism here.

Legendary Member

by scoobydooby » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:50 am
i would go for C.

the SC says the output of ironwork tripled due to 2 reasons
1. improvements in blowing machinery
2. replacement of charcoal by coal as a fuel in the smelting process.

A. as a result of X and because Y replaced not parallel. X is a noun phrase, Y is a clause so it compromises on the parallelism

B. distorts the original meaning. seems to say coal was used as fuel in the improvements in blowing machinery.

C. though awkward seems to be the best bet. properly attributes the trebling of the ironwork to the two reasons. also gerunds are preceded by a possessive noun/pronoun. so being aptly follows charcoal's.

D. awkward. replcaement of charcoal seems to modify ironwork output
E. no verb.

Legendary Member

by ketkoag » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:20 am
C for me as well coz it clearly states 2 reasons....
Usage of being is correct here and use of possessive form before the gerund seems good..

Legendary Member

by aj5105 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:39 am
(B)

by geet » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:09 am
Guyz ...OA A

As per i know C is wrong because "charcoal’s being replaced by coal" wrongly suggest that this event occurred for a short time ie. charcoal’s replaced by coal for a short interval.

i hope it helps

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:20 am
geet wrote:Guyz ...OA A

As per i know C is wrong because "charcoal’s being replaced by coal" wrongly suggest that this event occurred for a short time ie. charcoal’s replaced by coal for a short interval.

i hope it helps
Hi geet,

As far as I remember....there are couple of examples in OG where similar questions were rejected by OG because there was no because parallelsim maintained in the question....

IMO the first thing that GMAT likes is to have proper parallelism...which surely is not the case followed in A....there are couple of posts on Manhattan forums too about giving priority to parallelism....

Yes, I agree that B is not the best option too....but A IMO is also not good enough....

Can you please tell the source of this question....and please post the OE if available.

by geet » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:41 am
@goelmohit2002

Sorry i dont have any official explanation, but B is wrong because

1)"a tripling in the average output of ironwork" here the structure of the sentence is wrong it should be " the average output of ironwork was tripled due to the"
2)"replacement of charcoal by coal for the fuel"........ here "for" should be "as the fuel" .Fuel as a whole is not replaced by something but charcoal is replaced by coal as a fuel.

i hope it helps