Interview on Campus VS Phone Interview

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Interview on Campus VS Phone Interview

by bowleyjoo » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:25 pm
Hi Stacy,

I am international applicant and just got invitation for interview from UC Davis. It's the only school I have applied so far. I really want to study here.

But my problem is that I am inconvenient to go to the campus because I live in Thailand. I asked the school for phone interview several days ago but until now there's still no response. I already called the admission office, but the officer said the phone interview must have committee's endorsement.

My questions are:
1) In case the committee do not approve the phone interview, normally will they ask me to go to the campus instead? Or what?

2) What's the differences between interview on campus and phone interview? Does the applicant who has the phone interview have less opportunity to be accepted than the counterpart?

3) Do I have a chance to be accepted by UC Davis for General Management concentration? Here is my profile.

Working experience:
- 0.5 yrs in the biggest telecommunication technology company in China. Administration dept.
- 2.2 yrs in the American's largest energy provider. Responsible for international business transactions.
Work location: South East Asia, Mainland China and Hong Kong
Undergrad: non-business, GPA 3.6 (from top univ. in my country)
GMAT/AWA: 640/5.5 (Q45/V34)
Language: English, Thai, Mandarin, Cantonese
Others:
Language club
Music club (with awards)
Philanthrophy for children
Comic (published)
and several recognition awards at office

Big thanks!
Quitter never wins. Winner never quits!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:06 am
Dear bowleyjoo,

1) In case the committee do not approve the phone interview, normally will they ask me to go to the campus instead? Or what?

It is hard to say as there is variance on what a school will require for an interview. It is possible that they will insist you come to campus, but I think it is more likely that you will either be interviewed by someone geographically closer or do your interview via teleconference.

2) What's the differences between interview on campus and phone interview? Does the applicant who has the phone interview have less opportunity to be accepted than the counterpart?

There is not generally a disadvantage to doing your interview by phone as most schools understand that international applicants do not always have the resources to visit campus. You will just need to make sure to convey your enthusiasm with your voice and not sound like you are reading your answers in the event you do a phone interview.

3) Do I have a chance to be accepted by UC Davis for General Management concentration? Here is my profile.
If you received an invitation to interview, then you have a chance for admission. Your interview will be important as you will be assessed on not only your answers, but also your English ability.

Best of luck on your interview!
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by bowleyjoo » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:51 pm
Thank you for your answer, Lisa.

I finally decide to go to the campus. My interview will be on next two weeks. Is there anything that an international applicant should prepare for the interview? Special question for international candidate?

Thanks again.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:08 pm
There are not really any specific questions international students are asked that domestic students are not. Business school interviews are very similar to job interviews, so you need to be prepared to discuss anything on your resume and provide examples of your leadership and teamwork experiences. I'm glad you are able to make the trip as that will demonstrate your commitment and motivation to the admissions committee. Have a safe flight and enjoy California!

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by bowleyjoo » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:18 am
Thank you very much. :D