International students applications

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

International students applications

by gkammaje » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:14 am
One group that has a big leg up on the competition: international students who can foot the bill. Even as domestic applications are through the roof, international applications are down at many programs this year because of a lack of viable loan options and a resilient dollar, and some programs have had a tough time finding overseas students to round out their classes. So if you are a strong international student and you have a viable payment plan, your chances look very, very promising in the later rounds.
This is part of an article that I recently saw on Businessweek website. My question is - how do schools evaluate your profile if you are an international student? Do they look at a candidates payment plan and finances before they accept you or is it something that is looked at later? Are 'top ranked' schools ready to compromise on student quality to add some diversity to the program? Does this mean international students who have the funds necessary to support themselves have a better chance this year?!

Thanks!!

Legendary Member

by Neo2000 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:51 pm
The article is pretty self explanatory. It says that a lot of international applicants aren't applying because they probably cant afford the high fees without a loan. Therefore those who are applying can either afford it or are hoping to get some kinda loan. In either case, the college doesn't ask for your financial strength at the time of applying. They evaluate you based on the application you've submitted and nothing else!
The article also says that you have to be a "Strong" international applicant. I doubt that schools would compromise on student quality just because numbers are low. They'd prefer filling the batch with other applicants. Remember that there is no "quota" of international students that schools seek to fill. They look for the strongest students.

You are drawing a horrible amount of incorrect conclusions from the article dude!!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by gkammaje » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:56 am
I think given the option most students would like to take loans to pay for the costs...
I was just curious about at what point do schools evaluate an applicants financial situation. I was always under the impression that this is something that comes into consideration once the student is offered an admit..

thanks for the response