international prestige

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

international prestige

by geemat » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:15 am
At one time, European and Japanese companies tried to imitate their American rivals. Today, American appliance manufacturers import European scientists to lead their research staffs; American automakers design cars that mimic the styling of German, Italian, and French imports; and American electronics firms boast in their advertising of "Japanese-style" devotion to quality and reliability. In the world of high technology, America has lost the battle for international prestige.
Each of the following statements, if true, would help to support the claim above EXCEPT:

(A) An American camera company claims in its promotional literature to produce cameras "as fine as the best Swiss imports."
(B) An American maker of stereo components designs its products to resemble those of a popular Japanese firm.
(C) An American manufacturer of video games uses a brand name chosen because it sounds like a Japanese word.
(D) An American maker of televisions studies German-made televisions in order to adopt German manufacturing techniques.
(E) An American maker of frozen foods advertises its dinners as "Real European-style entrees prepared by fine French and Italian chefs."

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by heshamelaziry » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:26 pm
IMO C

Community Manager
Followed by:252 members

by papgust » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:03 pm
geemat wrote:At one time, European and Japanese companies tried to imitate their American rivals. Today, American appliance manufacturers import European scientists to lead their research staffs; American automakers design cars that mimic the styling of German, Italian, and French imports; and American electronics firms boast in their advertising of "Japanese-style" devotion to quality and reliability. In the world of high technology, America has lost the battle for international prestige.
Each of the following statements, if true, would help to support the claim above EXCEPT:

(A) An American camera company claims in its promotional literature to produce cameras "as fine as the best Swiss imports."
(B) An American maker of stereo components designs its products to resemble those of a popular Japanese firm.
(C) An American manufacturer of video games uses a brand name chosen because it sounds like a Japanese word.
(D) An American maker of televisions studies German-made televisions in order to adopt German manufacturing techniques.
(E) An American maker of frozen foods advertises its dinners as "Real European-style entrees prepared by fine French and Italian chefs."
I feel that the answer should be A because this shows that America has NOT yet lost the battle for international prestige by showing competitiveness in the international market. Other choices seem to support the claim that America has lost the international prestige.

Please share the OA..!

Legendary Member

by heshamelaziry » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:08 pm
I think you misunderstood the question. it asks for "strengthen except". the argument says that america is not competitive. A will strenghten this conclusion.

Community Manager

by papgust » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:18 pm
heshamelaziry wrote:I think you misunderstood the question. it asks for "strengthen except". the argument says that america is not competitive. A will strenghten this conclusion.
I don't think so hesham. In my opinion, A weakens the argument (satisfies the question stem) saying that America do not try to imitate the style of other countries and ready to produce cameras as good as swiss imports.

Others, please let us know your reasoning too..!

Legendary Member

by heshamelaziry » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:28 pm
I got your reasoning on the interpretation of A. However, I see that A is identical to premise in the argument, on which the conclusion is drawn. This is why I think it strengthens.

Let me know what you think

Community Manager

by papgust » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:00 am
Hesham,

We are not worried about the premises here. We are only focusing on the way with which author is arriving at the conclusion. Here the conclusion is "In the world of high technology, America has lost the battle for international prestige."

Waiting for other's opinion too..!

Legendary Member

by heshamelaziry » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:19 am
papgust wrote:Hesham,

We are not worried about the premises here. We are only focusing on the way with which author is arriving at the conclusion. Here the conclusion is "In the world of high technology, America has lost the battle for international prestige."

Waiting for other's opinion too..!
Hi papgust,

the argument syas:

and American electronics firms boast in their advertising of "Japanese-style" devotion to quality and reliability. In the world of high technology, America has lost the battle for international prestige.

So, please enlighten me on how A is different than this, and consequently weaken or has no effect on the conclusion.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:600

by viju9162 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:29 am
I guess answer is E. The conclusion talks about technology and it is not supported in E
"Native of" is used for a individual while "Native to" is used for a large group

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:630

by raghavakumar85 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:53 am
IMO surely E.

All other choices are about electronics and about the goods mentioned in the argument. Frozen foods is no way related to the argument. So, it cannot strengthen.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by mehravikas » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:08 pm
The argument talks about high technology and option E talks about frozen foods. IMO - E

On the contrary I feel the question is not good to study.