Insulation

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Insulation

by snehit » Sat May 30, 2009 3:40 am
A proposal for a new building fire safety code requires that fire-retardant insulation no longer be sprayed on steel girders in the factory, but be sprayed on once the girders have arrived at the buiding site. This will eliminate the dislodging of the insulation in transit and reduce fatalities in catastrophic fires by an estimated 20%.

Which of the following, if true, represents the stongest challange to the new proposal?

(A) The fire-retardant insulation will also be required to be one inch thicker than in the past.

(B) Studies have shown that most dislodgement of insulation occurs after the griders arrive on site.
(C) Catastrophic fires represent only 4% of the fires reported nationally.

(D) The proposed safety code will add considerably to the cost of new construction.

(E) In most of Europe, spraying fire-retardant insulation onto steel girders at the building site has been required for the past ten years.

* believe me I cudnt comprehend bold lines cuz i didnt get in which context word DISLODGE has been used and also meaning of transit

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by aj5105 » Sat May 30, 2009 3:53 am
[spoiler]I picked (D)[/spoiler]

by snehit » Sat May 30, 2009 5:34 am
Tough One

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Re: Insulation

by ankit1383 » Sat May 30, 2009 3:36 pm
(A) The fire-retardant insulation will also be required to be one inch thicker than in the past.Irrelevant

(B) Studies have shown that most dislodgement of insulation occurs after the griders arrive on site.Correct since we dislodgement occurs on the site....so spraying on the site wil not reduce the fire by 20%
(C) Catastrophic fires represent only 4% of the fires reported nationally.
It hardly matters that catastrophic fire represent represents 4 %....questions talks about reduction in catastrophic fires(D) The proposed safety code will add considerably to the cost of new construction.
Question doesnt talk about the cost and hence irrelevent

(E) In most of Europe, spraying fire-retardant insulation onto steel girders at the building site has been required for the past ten years.Irrelevant whether requred for 10 years in europe or not...

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by hetavdave » Sat May 30, 2009 9:21 pm
IMO-B

Current proposal assmes that "prayed on once the girders have arrived at the buiding site. This will eliminate the dislodging of the insulation in transit"

According to point B, "Studies have shown that most dislodgement of insulation occurs after the griders arrive on site.", if dislodgement of insulation occurs after the arrival on site, this sure will be a challenge to the proposal.

Legendary Member

by aj5105 » Sun May 31, 2009 3:14 am
Upon second thoughts [spoiler](C)[/spoiler] is looking good too :)

Here is my logic: When the probability of such a catastrophe is less, why even bother?

(I am a bit drunk now, I am sorry)

Re: Insulation

by ankit1383 » Sun May 31, 2009 4:47 am
snehit wrote: This will eliminate the dislodging of the insulation in transit

(B) Studies have shown that most dislodgement of insulation occurs after the griders arrive on site.

* believe me I cudnt comprehend bold lines cuz i didnt get in which context word DISLODGE has been used and also meaning of transit

Snehit
dislodge in this sentence means that insulation is removed during the transit(when it is transported from one place to another)...insulation is dislodged may be due to wear and tear during transit or some other reason in transit........

if most dislodgment occurs after the griders have arrived at the site...then our conclusion weakens....

HTH

Legendary Member

by mehravikas » Sun May 31, 2009 10:23 pm
Would go for - B

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by sudeep_ar » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:27 am
IMO B..

by cool_sni » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:39 am
Conclusion:
fire-retardant be sprayed on once the girders have arrived at the buiding site
Support:
Will eliminate the dislodging of the insulation in transit(This is the key word)

To weaken the argument, we need to prove that dislodging occurs not during transit, but after arrival.

That is exactly what option B says.
Studies have shown that most dislodgement of insulation occurs after the griders arrive on site.

by nicolette » Sun May 15, 2016 2:38 pm
I will Go with option B

by mason77 » Sun May 15, 2016 3:01 pm
In my opinion B is the most logical one.