INSEAD MBA - How well regarded in the US?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

INSEAD MBA - How well regarded in the US?

by homeyg » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:42 pm
My work background includes 2 yrs as an analyst in a BB i-bank, and the past 3 years at an emerging markets focused private equity fund. I have worked all 5 years in the US and would like to remain in the US after b-school. I graduated with a BS in Computer Science from Penn State University. Although Penn State is a good school, I really feel that a respected brand name MBA program would really help to boost my resume.

I am thinking of applying to the INSEAD MBA program for the January 2009 session but was worried about the perception of INSEAD in the US. What are US employers' perception of INSEAD since it is located in Europe? Will it help me to secure a job at a hedge fund or private equity firm in the US after school? would definitely appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members
homeyg wrote:My work background includes 2 yrs as an analyst in a BB i-bank, and the past 3 years at an emerging markets focused private equity fund. I have worked all 5 years in the US and would like to remain in the US after b-school. I graduated with a BS in Computer Science from Penn State University. Although Penn State is a good school, I really feel that a respected brand name MBA program would really help to boost my resume.

I am thinking of applying to the INSEAD MBA program for the January 2009 session but was worried about the perception of INSEAD in the US. What are US employers' perception of INSEAD since it is located in Europe? Will it help me to secure a job at a hedge fund or private equity firm in the US after school? would definitely appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.
INSEAD is a well-regarded international business school by those who know it. Because it is based in Europe, it is not as well-known in the US as the top US schools.

If you want to work in PE or at a hedge fund in the US after graduation, you will probably find your goal more attainable if you stay in the US. Not because US schools are "better," but because they are better known and have larger alumni networks here. On the other hand, if you want a program with an global, multi-cultural, general management focus and a global alumni network to match and you are not opposed to working extra hard to come back to the US or perhaps having a detour overseas, then INSEAD could be an excellent choice. INSEAD does send about 100 grads a year to the US and about 14% of its class comes from North America.

Best,
Linda
Linda Abraham
Accepted.com -- Helping You Write Your Best!
Accepted Blog
Accepted on Twitter
Accepted on Facebook