India 660 +5.5yrs work-ex+ Prof certifications

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,
I didn't hear from the previous so thought may be I posted at the wrong place and also saw multiple profile eval requests here so thought this must be the right place to post, therefore posting it here.

I took GMAT more than a month ago and scored 660 (Q48 V34). I plan to apply to the following schools and believe my score is on the lower side. Your views on my profile would be greatly valuable.

My profile:
Average Undergrad (Bachelors of Commerce)
MS Finance
Financial Risk Manager (FRM)
Have passed CFA Level 3 exam
5.5 years of work-ex across investment banking and equity research
GMAT: 660
Indian male, 28 years

Other activities: Have taught CFA at a leading firm (part time) in the past

Target schools: Columbia, NYU Stern, Cornell, ISB

Regards,

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:4 members

by Yaron@Admissionado » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:35 am
Hmmmm Hard to say, good sir.

Maybe you haven't yet gotten a response yet because your post is a bit on the thin side. Meaning all we know about you is that you have had a career in finance, and that you have a lower than average GMAT for the schools you want to apply to.

Sooo, where are your strengths that will make up for the GMAT? What is your GPA? How have you performed at work? Do you have exceptional leadership experience as a volunteer? Were you super-involved in extra-curriculars as you were in undergrad? How many promotions have you had? Have you led any teams? To do what? Are you one of the best at what you do? How can you prove it?

I'd suggest having a look at some more of the profile evaluation posts around here, and take a model from one of the longer and more detailed ones.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by Yashveer » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:28 am
Hi BJ,

A low GMAT score can certainly be offset by submitting a good essay and working hard on your application and interviews. Most schools see a combination of all these things to grant an admission. As per your profile, I would recommend the following b-schools: SMU-Cox, USC-Marshall, Emory, Wisconsin, Vanderbilt, Texas-Mays, Boston-Caroll, Urbana-Champaign & Maryland-Smith. You can also try your chances in b-schools by clicking https://www.general-ed.com/chances-of-bschool . There are many more but the mentioned list comprises of a few good ones in the US that you should definitely target. As the average GMAT Score for these B-Schools fall in between 590-730 range you have fair chances of being accepted.

It is highly advisable in your case to focus on your application evaluation essays. This is where you can demonstrate your leadership qualities, achievements, professional vision and other abilities. A well presented and perfectly written essay is absolutely critical to make a strong case for yourself during the final interview and more so when you have an average GMAT scores.

Let me know any other concerns you might have.

Regards,
Yash

bj.1984 wrote:Hi,
I didn't hear from the previous so thought may be I posted at the wrong place and also saw multiple profile eval requests here so thought this must be the right place to post, therefore posting it here.

I took GMAT more than a month ago and scored 660 (Q48 V34). I plan to apply to the following schools and believe my score is on the lower side. Your views on my profile would be greatly valuable.

My profile:
Average Undergrad (Bachelors of Commerce)
MS Finance
Financial Risk Manager (FRM)
Have passed CFA Level 3 exam
5.5 years of work-ex across investment banking and equity research
GMAT: 660
Indian male, 28 years

Other activities: Have taught CFA at a leading firm (part time) in the past

Target schools: Columbia, NYU Stern, Cornell, ISB

Regards,

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by bj.1984 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:52 am
Hi Yash,

Thanks for the detailed evaluation. Your insights are highly valuable.

Regards,

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by Yashveer » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:08 am
Happy to help always.
You can even PM me your number to have a detail discussion over your profile or selection of b-schools.

Best
Yash
If found useful,give kudos or thanks.
bj.1984 wrote:Hi Yash,

Thanks for the detailed evaluation. Your insights are highly valuable.

Regards,