Incorrect sentence test

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:70 members

Incorrect sentence test

by karthikpandian19 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:15 pm
This is a kind of practice question: This is easy for your GMAT prep on SC

Choose the sentence that is NOT correctly written.

(A) Chelsea wanted to learn how to play the viola; she both took lessons and practiced daily, but she could still barely play a tune.

(B) The most attractive girl in the class is not only beautiful but also athletic.

(C) Dinah loves to go out to expensive restaurants, but she is not a snob so much as a connoisseur.

(D) No matter how much you beg, I'm neither introducing you to new people nor to help you make amends with your old friends.

(E) The color red has different effects on different people; it can either heighten awareness and signal danger or promote comfort and invoke feelings of warmth.
Regards,
Karthik
The source of the questions that i post from JUNE 2013 is from KNEWTON

---If you find my post useful, click "Thank" :) :)---
---Never stop until cracking GMAT---

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by 1947 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:01 pm
karthikpandian19 wrote:This is a kind of practice question: This is easy for your GMAT prep on SC

(A) Chelsea wanted to learn how to play the viola; she both took lessons and practiced daily, but she could still barely play a tune.

(B) The most attractive girl in the class is not only beautiful but also athletic.

(C) Dinah loves to go out to expensive restaurants, but she is not a snob so much as a connoisseur.but she is not as much a snob as a connoisseur.

(D) No matter how much you beg, I'm neither introducing you to new people nor to help you make amends with your old friends.

(E) The color red has different effects on different people; it can either heighten awareness and signal danger or promote comfort and invoke feelings of warmth.
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button. Thanks

Legendary Member

by karthikpandian19 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:14 pm
OA is D

(A) Chelsea wanted to learn how to play the viola; she both took lessons and practiced daily, but she could still barely play a tune. - Perfect with semicolon and is parallel with "both" & "and"

(B) The most attractive girl in the class is not only beautiful but also athletic. - perfect sentence with idiom "not only....but also"

(C) Dinah loves to go out to expensive restaurants, but she is not a snob so much as a connoisseur. - perfect sentence with idiom "not....so much as....."

(D) No matter how much you beg, I'm neither introducing you to new people nor to help you make amends with your old friends. - Idiom usage of "neither....nor...." is not parallel, as it compares "ing" with "to...." infinitive

(E) The color red has different effects on different people; it can either heighten awareness and signal danger or promote comfort and invoke feelings of warmth.- Perfect with semicolon and is parallel with "either" & "or"
Regards,
Karthik

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by sandeep_thaparianz » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:34 am
C) so much as is a right idiom?
A) she Both took lessons and practiced... Here both isn't awkward???
E) what is the verb in first part before;

Please answer. Totally stumped with this question. :cry:

Legendary Member

by karthikpandian19 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:51 pm
Explanation for A

Choice A is correctly written because it uses parallel construction with the correlative conjunction "both...and..." The correlative conjunction "both...and.." requires strict parallel construction, and the word after "both" ("took") and the word after "and" ("practiced") are both verbs. It doesn't matter where we place "both" in a sentence (before or after the verb), as long as the word after "both" and the word after "and" are in the exact same grammatical form. So "she took both lessons and practiced daily" would not be correct because "lessons" is a noun but "practiced" is a verb. So choice A is correctly written.

Explanation for C

The idiom is "not X so much as Y", which indicates the particular qualities that a person/thing have

Here are some other examples"

"Jeff is not an athlete so much as an amateur competitor."

You could also say:

"Jeff is not an athlete as much as an amateur competitor."

Or:

"Jeff is not as much an athlete as he is an amateur competitor."

On the GMAT, the phrase "as much as" is much more often used to compare quantities. ("I have 2 cups of soup, which is not as much as Jamie has.")

The phrase "so much as" is used to indicate particular qualities that a person or thing does or does not have. ("He is not a professional so much as a very talented amateur.")

Explanation for E:

Here in E, there are 2 sentences separated by semicolon meaning that both are Independent clauses and they have their own subject and main verb.
I hope the answer for your question, verb is "has..effects". The word "different" modifies the verb.

I hope i am correct in the explanations for all.
sandeep_thaparianz wrote:C) so much as is a right idiom?
A) she Both took lessons and practiced... Here both isn't awkward???
E) what is the verb in first part before;

Please answer. Totally stumped with this question. :cry:
Regards,
Karthik