In which case a pronoun is considered ambiguous?

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Hi, I have a very fundamental problem which I can't determine whether a pronoun is ambiguous or not.
When I think it's ambiguous, it's not. When I think it's not, it is.
It seems like the way I look at pronoun is different from what normal people look at.

From the example, there are 3 possible antecedents. Isn't this ambiguous.

Please tell me the rules of ambiguity that not just solving this problem but to help me apply to any other questions.

This question is from Grockit. The highlighted answer stem is the correct answer.

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by Gurpinder » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:18 pm
torofish wrote:Hi, I have a very fundamental problem which I can't determine whether a pronoun is ambiguous or not.
When I think it's ambiguous, it's not. When I think it's not, it is.
It seems like the way I look at pronoun is different from what normal people look at.

From the example, there are 3 possible antecedents. Isn't this ambiguous.

Please tell me the rules of ambiguity that not just solving this problem but to help me apply to any other questions.

This question is from Grockit. The highlighted answer stem is the correct answer.
Hi,

You are absolutely right that it can be confusing to find proper antecedents. But look at this answer:

Both interest rates and housing prices of various countries are increasing, some at significant rates, but they are ........ still low enough to avoid an inflationary effect.

The blue part is the adjective to the pronoun "they". So by taking into account the blue part, you know that there is only ONE thing in the sentence being talked about which is going high or low and that is the housing prices and interest rates.

The part in the green is NOT the subject therefore the pronoun "they" cannot refer to it. Its a modifier. Its just giving you "junky-information" that you have to ignore.

A pronoun would be considered ambiguous in a case like this: Sam and Manny had dinner yesterday and he payed for it.

I hope this helps!
"Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress."
- Alfred A. Montapert, Philosopher.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by rashmi.kaushal » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:47 am
Dear Torofish,

There are five deadly pronouns -

that
they
which
who
it

Always be careful when you see them in the sentence, these pronouns always (with few exceptions)refer to the preceding noun.

Hope this helps !

Cheers !

Rashmi