Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:32 am
prachich1987 wrote:What's the OA?
Scroll for the OA A

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by kvcpk » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:05 am
mundasingh123 wrote:
kvcpk wrote:In the effort to fire a Civil Service employee, his or her manager may have to spend up to $100,000 of tax money. Since Civil Service employees know how hard it is to fire them, they tend to loaf. This explains in large part why the government is so inefficient.
It can be properly inferred on the basis of the statements above that the author believes which of the following?
I. Too much job security can have a negative influence on workers.
II. More government workers should be fired.
III. Most government workers are Civil Service employees.
(A) I only
(B) I and III only
(C) II only
(D) I, II, and III
(E) III only
Hi can u reveal the source ?
I dont remember exactly. But I think it is from 1000 CR. OA is A
Anyways, its a poorly written question.
Check this post:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/1000-cr-ters ... t1503.html
"Once you start working on something,
don't be afraid of failure and don't abandon it.
People who work sincerely are the happiest."
Chanakya quotes (Indian politician, strategist and writer, 350 BC-275BC)

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:36 am
In the effort to fire a Civil Service employee, his or her manager may have to spend up to $100,000 of tax money. Since Civil Service employees know how hard it is to fire them, they tend to loaf. This explains in large part why the government is so inefficient.
It can be properly inferred on the basis of the statements above that the author believes which of the following?
(A) I only
(B) I and III only
(C) II only
(D) I, II, and III
(E) III only
Sttmnt 1 can be inferred frm The Bolded part
The stimulus says that the Job security should be reduced by making it easier to fire the Civil Service employees.The stimlus nowhere says that more Govt workers should be fired if you want more efficiency.
The Stmulus nowhere says Most government workers are Civil Service employees.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:660

by chendawg » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:22 am
FightWithGMAT wrote:
kvcpk wrote:
beatthegmatinsept wrote:
kvcpk wrote:I have a query:

Is it OK to infer a Generalised statement from a particular example?

Here I is Generalisation, while the passage only has example.
I am no expert, but I think it is. I in this case is like a given, the question is probably whether you pick or don't pick the other option.
What's the OA?
Thankyou!! But I am not completely convinced :(
OA is A.
This is an inference question....
Does the passage say that inefficiency in gov is proportional to number of employees in gov.

It could be the case that gov is inefficient because the civil service officers are responsible for most of inefficiency, and such officers are only 10%.
90 % are not civil service officers.
I completely agree with the above explanation for III. Civil Service employees COULD do 99% of the work, yet only make up 5% of the workforce. Thus this does not need to be true. However I. HAS to be true because if the author DID not believe too much job security CAN have a negative influence on workers, then the author can't lead to the conclusion that government is inefficient because C.S. employees loaf.

by aleph777 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:44 pm
Tricky problem!, but I think the answer is A.

I. Too much job security can have a negative influence on works. This is a very close and logical flow from the statement, which makes two distinct points--firstly, that Civil Service employees know how hard it is to fire them, and secondly, that because they know how hard it is to be fired they tend to loaf. Therefore, their job security causes them to underperform.

II. More government workers should be fired. This can not be confirmed in the statement, because the final sentence is unclear about which statement explains why the government is so inefficient. Is it because it costs up to $100,000 just to fire someone OR is it because people loaf due to job security? It's too ambiguous to tell.

III. Most government workers are Civil Service employees. There is no reference to number at all in the statement.

Therefore, A.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by abhi6136 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:13 am
B
I. Too much job security can have a negative influence on workers. (Since Civil Service employees know how hard it is to fire them, they tend to loaf)
III. Most government workers are Civil Service employees. (the government is so inefficient.)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by thebigkats » Tue May 17, 2011 4:56 pm
the answer is simply A. Here is why:
I - author is stating it directly in the text "Since Civil Service employees know how hard it is to fire them, they tend to loaf"
II - It is not mentioned anywhere (only playing with republicans' emotions :-) )
III - Author says that because civil servants loaf around, the government is inefficient... it doesn't talk about numbers/ratios anywhere. Author doesn't say that civil servants are majority or minority etc.

In the effort to fire a Civil Service employee, his or her manager may have to spend up to $100,000 of tax money. Since Civil Service employees know how hard it is to fire them, they tend to loaf. This explains in large part why the government is so inefficient.
(A) I only
(B) I and III only
(C) II only
(D) I, II, and III
(E) III only
---------------------------------
Everything is possible in this world. Even the word Impossible says - I'm possible

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by shrivast » Sun May 22, 2011 11:32 am
I am still not sure about III, if government if inefficient due to civil service employees, why can't I infer that most of the employees are from civil service.
Are we ignoring III because the statement could be true or false?

Thanks

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by thebigkats » Sun May 22, 2011 5:57 pm
shrivast wrote:I am still not sure about III, if government if inefficient due to civil service employees, why can't I infer that most of the employees are from civil service.
Are we ignoring III because the statement could be true or false?

Thanks
Yes, this is correct. We are given info about the productivity levels but not numbers. It is possible that civil servants are few in numbers but they cause much more inefficiencies in the system (e.g. because they don't work, folks below them in hierarchy don't work either and so on, causing total inefficiency). It is also possible that civil servants are majority in govt. causing govt. to be inefficient.
---------------------------------
Everything is possible in this world. Even the word Impossible says - I'm possible

by prashant misra » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:34 am
my answer is option A.no other option provides a more suitable inference from the passage.

Followed by:4 members

by thestartupguy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:38 am
Clearly the answer is A

I agree as discussed above that there is no mention about the numbers. Let's try to think this way isn't it possible for very few Civil Service employees (say less than 50 percent) who are the reason for all the damage caused to the government.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please "THANK" if you like my explanation :p

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by [email protected] » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:03 pm
The last line This explains in large part why the government is so inefficient.
Isn't the word 'this' pointing to the first 2 sentences which talks about the Civil service employees only. So why should III be left out ?

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by mankey » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:49 am
What's the OA?

Thanks.

GMAT Score:700

by Gaurav 2013-fall » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:11 am
only 1 . 10 seconds

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by dibyapal » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:54 pm
Only 1 can be inferred from the passage...option 3 seems far fetched.