In past decades

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

In past decades

by akhpad » Tue May 18, 2010 4:01 am
Source: Manhattan GMAT CR 4th Ed, Page: 188

In past decades, private equity investors used to compete for exclusive participation in investments. Now, in response to both the growing scale of investments and increased competition to participate, private equity funds often form syndicates or clubs and jointly take positions in large investment. Clearly, the reason investors do this is to allow them to spread some of the risk and also gain access to a broader range of investments and opportunities.

Which of the following statements by a private equity investor best defines the changing attitude described in the argument above?

A: We would rather beat our competition by working with them in order to find out their strengths and weakness.
B: In order to keep up with our competition, we should investing small and only invest in a very large opportunities.
C: In order to make sure that we can participate in certain investment, we should expect to cooperate with ours competition on occasion.
D: To avoid taking any risks, it is necessary to stop competing with our former competitors.
E: In response to changing market conditions, we should participate only in investment that allow us to take better position that our competitors.

OA: C

I could not understand this CR.
Last edited by akhpad on Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:730

by thinkpanther » Tue May 18, 2010 10:47 am
This is what the question stem is saying:

1) Earlier, PE firms used to look out for exclusive investment stakes where they could be the sole provider of all the required capital.

2) However, now the scale of investments has changed (ie more money is required) and competition has increased, leading to PE firms joining hands with each other

3) Reason is to spread risk (of higher captial investment required) and to get access to bigger market

Question stem: which of the following statements (by a PE) best supports this argument:

Options:

A) there is no mention of beating competition by working with them in the stem
B) it is not to keep up with competition but to get access to a broader market that PE firms are changing their attitude. Also, investing in only large opportunities is against the information provided
C) best matches the stem: co-operation on certain investments (where more capital is required)
D) there is no mention of putting a stop to competing
E) there is no mention of taking better position than competition

HTH,

Cheers!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by bupbebeo » Tue May 18, 2010 7:50 pm
akhp77 wrote:Source: Manhattan GMAT CR 4th Ed, Page: 188

In past decades, private equity investors used to compete for exclusive participation in investments. Now, in response to both the growing scale of investments and increased competition to participate, private equity funds often form syndicates or clubs and jointly take positions in large investment. Clearly, the reason investors do this is to allow them to spread some of the risk and also gain access to a broader range of investments and opportunities.

Which of the following statements by a private equity investor best defines the changing attitude described in the argument above?

A: We would rather beat our competition by working with them in order to find out their strengths and weakness.
B: In order to keep up with our competition, we should investing small and only invest in a very large opportunities.
C: In order to make sure that we can participate in certain investment, we should expect to cooperate with ours competition on occasion.
D: To avoid taking any risks, it is necessary to stop competing with our former competitors.
E: In response to changing market conditions, we should participate only in investment that allow us to take better position that our competitors.

OA: C

I could not understand stimulus and question stem. How to break down it.
hey akhp, this is kind of main point question. all you need to do is just restate the conclusion. As you can see the wording of the answer choice C, it restates the wording of the conclusion.

to make sure that we can participate in certain investment = gain access to a broader range of investments and opportunities

the reason investor do this ( cooperate with others ) = to cooperate with ours competition on occasion.

see, everything seems to be clear now?

hope that helps

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:25 pm
Received a PM asking me to respond. In future, please give us an idea of what you do understand and ask very specific questions about what you don't understand. (I'm telling you this for your own good, not because it makes things any easier for me. You'll learn better if you push yourself to articulate what you do and don't understand.)

First, this problem is from the Minor Questions chapter and represents a pretty rare question type: restate the conclusion. Perhaps one in 20 or 30 test-takers will see this type of question on the test - so don't worry about it too much if you are confused by this type.

Read the Q stem first: apparently there's some kind of changing attitude in the argument. I need to figure out what that changing attitude is. Then I need to find something in the answers that "defines" or restates that changing attitude.

Before: PEIs wanted exclusive rights to investments.
Now: PEFs often invest in groups
Why? b/c more competition and larger investments
(I think I've found my "changing attitude" already: they used to want to invest solo and now they want to invest in groups, for the reasons stated in the "Why?" row above.)
"Clearly" investors do this to spread risk and to get more investments. (Ah, so here are some additional "Why?" reasons for the changing attitude.)

The answers represent "statements by a private equity investor" or an investor. They're the ones with the "changing attitudes" described above, so I basically need to find something that a person with this "changing attitude" would say.

A) The argument does mention competition, but it doesn't say that they want to find out their competitors' strengths and weaknesses; instead, it says they want to spread risk and get more investments.
B) The argument does mention competition, but doesn't say anything about wanting to "keep up with our competition."
C) The argument does mention the desire to "gain access to a broader range" of things. The argument also mentions increased competition and that these competitors do sometimes work together. So the motivation (the first half of the answer) is correctly described, and the means (the second half of the answer) is also correctly described.
D) The argument mentions only the desire to "spread some of the risk"; it does not mention the avoidance of all risks in general.
E) This one sounds nice in the real world, but it doesn't reflect the "changing attitude" discussed in the argument. The major point of the "changed attitude" is that the competitors sometimes work together now.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by akhpad » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:13 am
Hi Stacey,

The reason I asked that I could not understood stimulus.

Good explanation. Manhattan way of breaking any passage is very good.

I appreciate your explanation.

One last question: at the end of option C, it is "on occasion". Why is this frequency needed. Such frequency is not mentioned in stimulus. It can be OK because it is not extreme word.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by missionGMAT007 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:47 am
indeed there is a frequency word in the stimulus,
private equity funds often form syndicates or clubs and jointly take positions in large investment

hope this will help

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Stacey Koprince » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:05 pm
mission's got it. If we say that these investors "often" join up with their competitors, then it's okay to say that investors should expect to do this at least some of the time (or "on occasion").
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Learn more about me

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:19 pm
akhp77 wrote:Hi Stacey,

The reason I asked that I could not understood stimulus.

Good explanation. Manhattan way of breaking any passage is very good.

I appreciate your explanation.

One last question: at the end of option C, it is "on occasion". Why is this frequency needed. Such frequency is not mentioned in stimulus. It can be OK because it is not extreme word.
Here "on occasion" describe the "moment /period of time".

The Moment is that : 1. response to both the growing scale of investments
: 2 increased competition to participate

To sustain this changing Moments/events from past decade to current secnario, PE investors needs to change their strategy.

@stacey..am i on correct lines?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Stacey Koprince » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:30 pm
In this usage "on occasion" is a synonym for "occasionally" or "every once in a while."

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Learn more about me