In California today, Hispanics

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

In California today, Hispanics

by GMATsid2016 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:58 am
In California today, Hispanics under the age of eighteen account for more than 43 percent, compared with a decade ago, when it was about 35 percent.

A) In California today, Hispanics under the age of eighteen account for more than 43 percent, compared with a decade ago, when it was about 35 percent.

B) Of the Californians under the age of eighteen, today more than 43 percent of them are Hispanic, compared with a decade ago, when it was about 35 percent.

C) Today, more than 43 percent of Californians under the age of eighteen are Hispanic, compared with about 35 percent a decade ago.

D) Today, compared to a decade ago, Californians who are Hispanics under the age of eighteen account for more than 43 percent, whereas it was about 35 percent.

E) Today, Hispanics under the age of eighteen in California account for more than 43 percent, unlike a decade ago, when it was about 35 percent.

OAC

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by GMATsid2016 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:02 am
Hello Experts ,

Please share your views on this.

Thanks,

Sid

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:03 pm
GMATsid2016 wrote:In California today, Hispanics under the age of eighteen account for more than 43 percent, compared with a decade ago, when it was about 35 percent.

A) In California today, Hispanics under the age of eighteen account for more than 43 percent, compared with a decade ago, when it was about 35 percent.

B) Of the Californians under the age of eighteen, today more than 43 percent of them are Hispanic, compared with a decade ago, when it was about 35 percent.

C) Today, more than 43 percent of Californians under the age of eighteen are Hispanic, compared with about 35 percent a decade ago.

D) Today, compared to a decade ago, Californians who are Hispanics under the age of eighteen account for more than 43 percent, whereas it was about 35 percent.

E) Today, Hispanics under the age of eighteen in California account for more than 43 percent, unlike a decade ago, when it was about 35 percent.
A, D and E: account for more than 43 percent
account for more than 43 percent of WHAT?
Since the intended meaning is unclear, eliminate A, D and E.

B: Of the Californians under the age of eighteen, today more than 43 percent of them
Here, the portions in red are redundant.
Eliminate B.

The correct answer is C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:53 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
GMATsid2016 wrote:In California today, Hispanics under the age of eighteen account for more than 43 percent, compared with a decade ago, when it was about 35 percent.

A, D and E: account for more than 43 percent
account for more than 43 percent of WHAT?
Since the intended meaning is unclear, eliminate A, D and E.

B: Of the Californians under the age of eighteen, today more than 43 percent of them
Here, the portions in red are redundant.
Eliminate B.

The correct answer is C.
Dear Mitch,

Can you shed light on usage of 'compared to' in the choices above??

thanks

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:11 am
Mo2men wrote:Dear Mitch,

Can you shed light on usage of 'compared to' in the choices above??

thanks
compared must serve to compare one NOUN to another NOUN.

A: In California today...compared with a decade ago
B: Today more than 43 percent of them are Hispanic, compared with a decade ago
D: Today, compared to a decade ago
In these options, compared incorrectly serves to refer to today, which is functioning not as a noun but as a MODIFIER.
Eliminate A, B and D.

OA: More than 43 percent of Californians under the age of eighteen are Hispanic, compared with about 35 percent a decade ago.
Here, compared correctly serves to compare the two noun phrases in blue.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:42 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:

OA: More than 43 percent of Californians under the age of eighteen are Hispanic, compared with about 35 percent a decade ago.
I doubt regarding the OA.

In C, 'compered wit' modifies the noun before the comma, so it should modifies 'Hispanics' to 'about 35 percent' which is worng. In some SC, I saw that you eliminated answer choice based on something smiliar.

What is the difference here???

Thanks for your help

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:39 am
Mo2men wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

I doubt regarding the OA.

In C, 'compered wit' modifies the noun before the comma, so it should modifies 'Hispanics' to 'about 35 percent' which is worng. In some SC, I saw that you eliminated answer choice based on something smiliar.

What is the difference here???

Thanks for your help

On the GMAT, it is VERY common for an SC to end with COMMA + COMPARISON PHRASE.
The purpose of the comparison phrase will be to EXPLAIN or DEFINE a data point discussed in the preceding clause.

Official examples:
Soaring television costs accounted for more than half the spending in the presidential campaign of 1992, a greater proportion than in any previous election.
In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to about 41 million tons, nearly 25 percent less than the 1978 harvest.
Lake Baikal holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, more than all the North American Great Lakes combined
Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, fewer than have been killed by bee stings.
Companies in the United States are providing job training and general education for nearly eight million people, as many as are enrolled in the nation's four-year colleges and universities.

The SC above:
More than 43 percent of Californians under the age of eighteen are Hispanic, compared with about 35 percent a decade ago.

In each of the OAs above, the comparison phrase in red serves to explain the data point in blue.
Do not worry about the relative positions of the two colored phrases.
As long as it is clear what data points are being compared, consider this sort of construction correct.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3