Improving my Profile (concrete things I should start doing)

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello,

I want to know what specific steps I can take to improving my profile, before I ask similar questions 3 years from now when it may be too late.

[b]Educational background[/b]:
Undergrad: Electrical Engineering. 3.9/4.0, but from a school nobody has ever heard of.
Grad: Electrical Engineering MS. From a school everybody has heard of. GPA will be fine.

I know my undergraduate GPA is good, but the lack of prestige of undergrad hurts. Also, I got very little out of undergrad, in terms of extracurricular activities. I've never volunteered in my life.

1. I still have 1.5 years left in my MS, so I want to know what should I improve on undergrad in terms of ECs, preferably ones that I can continue when working full-time or in which I can show leadership/initiative. Many of my "hobbies" are not things to brag about on MBA apps. This is the main area that I would like to improve, and am looking for suggestions in.

2. Also, when is the best time to take the GMAT? I'm confident I could get 700+ easily, even an 800 if it came down to that.

3. I have no finance/business coursework at all, so would a CFA be worthwhile?

4. In terms of career, I hope to be in consulting or management. Is going into consulting right away a benefit, or would it be better to work as an engineer first, and then transition to consulting?

5. A general question about the value of an MBA degree. If I have a solid engineering or consulting background, is it possible to transition to a completely different area, such as investment banking or sales/trading, based on a big name MBA with no experience in the field?

Thanks for reading and replying! Replies, suggestions, comments, etc are welcome from everybody.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:51 pm
Hi DS,
Thanks for your post. Since you are several years out from applying, you have a lot of time to work on your candidacy, which is great.

Having a high GPA from a 'lesser known school' is not a bad thing. But to help offset any concern AdCom might have about your academic performance, make sure you do well on the GMAT - in fact, shoot for at least a 700 (as many engineering candidates get high scores) if you are aiming for top 15 programs.

I would strongly encourage you to pick up some ECs, as that is an important component of your application and could potentially help you get some leadership experience (in addition to what you get in on the job).

Regarding the MBA - well, that is really for you to determine. Yes, an MBA from a solid program will open a lot of doors for your career.

Regards,
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:740

by HelenF » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:51 am
Hi

Just to add to what Nikhil has already said:

GMAT scores reamin valid for 5 years, so if you're looking to apply in 3 years or so, you can do your GMAT anytime between now and them. I know some people find it easier to study for when they are used to studying from their degrees, rather than when they've got out of the habit after a few years working.

MBAs don't require prior business coursework, and a substantial number of admitted students don't have any. If the CFA makes sense for you in terms of your careeer, then do it. If it doesn't, it's not an MBA prerequisite.

As far as consulting or engineering now is concerned, what do you want to do? For career switching later, yes people do transition into completely different areas - it's one of the reasons that people choose to do an MBA.

Best

Helen
Helen Foster | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant | www.VeritasPrep.com

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Paxton Helms - Kaplan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:32 pm
Greetings! A couple of thoughts and notes:

1. I still have 1.5 years left in my MS, so I want to know what should I improve on undergrad in terms of ECs, preferably ones that I can continue when working full-time or in which I can show leadership/initiative. Many of my "hobbies" are not things to brag about on MBA apps. This is the main area that I would like to improve, and am looking for suggestions in.

Your challenge / opportunity here is to take LEADERSHIP positions in organizations that interest you. This can literally run the gamut from apple tree planting to zebra research. The key thing is to get yourself into some kind of role where you have a leadership role and are actually responsible for something. Good organizations are always looking for volunteers but move quickly since their election / appt. cycles often begin in the fall. Persist since sometimes they are not especially well-organized.

Further to the above, consider looking outside of your school. It's always nice to maximize exposure to the real world when in school.

2. Also, when is the best time to take the GMAT? I'm confident I could get 700+ easily, even an 800 if it came down to that.

Ah...be confident...but not too confident. The GMAT is trickier than it looks some times. You would do well to take a Kaplan practice test at your local center (just call up to schedule one) to get a handle on where you are now and how much prep (if any) you will need to get over 700.

3. I have no finance/business coursework at all, so would a CFA be worthwhile?

Typically, a CFA is for people that want to work for a mutual fund, a brokerage firm, etc. For many folks it is the "alternative MBA." Getting a CFA as prep for an MBA doesn't make a whole of sense.

4. In terms of career, I hope to be in consulting or management. Is going into consulting right away a benefit, or would it be better to work as an engineer first, and then transition to consulting?

Totally up to you. It really depends on what you want to do with your life. Consulting is probably better prep for a general management career; engineering for a more techincally-oriented career.

5. A general question about the value of an MBA degree. If I have a solid engineering or consulting background, is it possible to transition to a completely different area, such as investment banking or sales/trading, based on a big name MBA with no experience in the field?

Yes. But, you will have to be focused on making that transition right from the start. That means getting involved with relevant clubs and extra-curriculars in business school, taking the right coursework, getting an appropriate internship, and staying on campus in the Fall (instead of going abroad) to maximize your participation in the Fall interview process. You have GOT to be focused going in. It's so important that I'm going to say it again: you have GOT to be focused from day one!!

Good luck and let me know if you have further questions--

Paxton
Keep me in the loop about your thinking and let me know if you have any more questions.

Paxton

Paxton Helms is an MBA admissions consultant for Kaplan Admissions Consulting. He earned his MBA from UCLA and specializes in helping clients that are applying to top twenty and "reach" programs. He can be reached directly at [email protected].

To begin working with Paxton immediately, follow this link and request him specifically: https://www.kaptest.com/GMAT/Admissions- ... lting.html