Improving my masters application

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Improving my masters application

by eSik » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:55 pm
Hey guys,

I'll be applying for a Master in Business/Financial Economics next year. As this forum has allready given me some great tips on how to prepare myself for, and nail the GMAT I was wondering if you could give me some tips on the rest of my application. I have decided to take 3 months off after my graduation in November, travel the world, and spend 2-3 hours every day preparing for the GMAT.

Other than this, I was wondering if someone could assess my profile and give me some tips on how I can improve. I am 23, Norwegian, and has lived in Australia for the past four years. This is what I have;

- Bachelor of Economics, majoring in Quantitative Methods, University of Queensland. GPA 5.7/7, however, GPA steadily increasing every semester and received Dean's Commendation for High Achievement in year 3 (GPA 6.125). Achieved 6's and 7's in all finance and quant related subjects post 1st year.

- Bachelor of Commerce (Honours), majoring in Finance, University of Melbourne. 1 year honours degree, graduate in November.

- Managed the family company's portfolio since 2005. Portfolio invested 50% in real estate, 30% using global indexing strategies and 20% active security selection. Have beaten reference index every year since '05 and no negative years yet (despite GFC). I started my career in the family company at 13, starting up an online business building noiseless computers and selling cooling supplies to make computer silent. Sold the company at 16, have since done accounting work there and now managing the portfolio. However, the school I am applying to have indicated that references written by family members are discouraged.

- Leader for the Norwegian society at UQ for two years. Focusing at intergrating Norwegians into the Australian society. Did some econometric councelling for PWC in 2008, and as they liked my worked we put together a 6-week fortnightly workshop series to attract and encourage Scandinavians to apply for work in Australia. We did things like case studies, interview training etc. After the workshop four people were offered interview with PWC and one person got hired.

- Other: Im a handy person. Passionate sailor, sailed around Scandinavia summer 2007. Built a cabin in the mountains with my father in the summer of '08. Have backpacked most of Asia/Ocenia by myself since 2005. Up til I was 18 I was a sponsored wakeboarder, however, a serious knee injury prohibited me from continuing with the sport. Am very fit as of today, play futsal and climb regulary. Don't know if any of this really matters, but I consider them as my other strong sides.

Next semester I expect to tutor two 3rd year finance subjects at the University of Melbourne. I will also write my honours thesis and expect my supervisor to provide me an academic reference. I feel I am lacking a little bit on the extracurricular side this year, and have set up an interview with the Red Cross and two other local volunteer organisations at the end of July. I feel my biggest weaknesses are lack of work experience (not a prereq for the degree I am applying for) and who's going to write my second reference? Right now my best option is to have my contact at PWC last year to write it. I did some econometric councelling for him, and we developed the business workshops together. He is a manager at PWC and will be attending HBS from September. Will my supervisor (young PHd, previous derivatives trader at JP Morgan) and my PWC contact be a good enough reference?

What other things can I do to improve my profile? I was planning to apply in February next year, applications are considered rolling, deadline is June, school starts in September.

Thanks for any tips.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by AppReview » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:41 am
Hi,

We think this should be a good read to start with. Direct queries via PM.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/msc-courses- ... 37239.html

Regards,
Team AppReview
AppReview - Realizing your potential, transforming your dreams

A unique student collaborative venture - We are an eclectic mix of students having confirmed admission offers at Yale, Stanford, Cornell, Duke, Dartmouth, LSE, Cambridge, Imperial College, among others. Offering admissions consultancy options with the flexibility of choosing a custom mentor for all types of graduate and professional studies.

Follow us on Twitter | E-Mail: [email protected]