Improve on CR (need advice!!!!)

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Improve on CR (need advice!!!!)

by krishnapv » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:06 pm
Can someone please provide guidance on how to improve upon Critical Reasoning? I've reviewed all of MGMAT CR guide and I also signed up for e-gmat. Initially, I practiced CR from OG 13. My accuracy rate was 80%. However, I started practicing problems from GMAT PREP. My accuracy level dropped alot! I just don't understand what I am doing wrong! I am able to nail-down the answer choices to two potential answers. however, majority of the time, I end up picking the wrong choice. Please provide guidance in this area. I am taking the test in less than 10 days!

Thanks,
Krishna

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:36 pm
Hi krishnapv,

What you're describing is essentially "guessing"; even though you're narrowing the options down to two choices, probability says that you'll get half of those questions wrong (and if you're having a bad day, or just unlucky, then you'll get more than half of them wrong). Like any other question type, CR questions have patterns to them, require you to take notes and "make connections" and PREDICT what the correct answer is before you look at the 5 choices.

With 10 days to go, I'm not sure what kind of improvement can be reasonably expected. Do you have the flexibility to reschedule your test for a month from now?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by krishnapv » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:13 pm
Thanks Rich. I cannot reschedule my exam. However, I plan to retake it. My CR scores seem to fluctuate alot. For example, When I took GMAT PREP, I only got 3 questions wrong. However, When I took MGMAT, I got almost half of them WRONG! My RC was worst in GMAT PREP, however, My RC is better (80%) in MGMAT. I am trying hard to understand why I am making these mistakes by analyzing the questions at this point. I've practiced alot. So, I am very disappointed in myself that I am not able to improve the score with intense practice.