Improper Strategy?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Improper Strategy?

by Ratdog » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:46 pm
Hello All,

I'm just three weeks into preparation for the GMAT. So far so good, but I have a long way to go. I will most likely be subscribing to an online, on-demand prep course. I'm not sure which one yet.

In browsing some forums and blogs, I have read that a mistake people make is they jump right into studying from "The Official Guide for GMAT Review" book. Is there a reason why it would be a mistake? I have actually been using the guide exclusively, and have learned quite a bit.

Thoughts?

Looking forward to learning more from this site. Thanks.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:143 members

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:29 pm
What is your desired score and when would you like to take the GMAT?
Kasia
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT - the #1 rated GMAT course

"¢ If you found my post helpful, please click the "thank" button and/or follow me.

"¢ Take a 7 day free trial and find out why Economist GMAT is the highest rated GMAT course - https://gmat.economist.com/

"¢ Read GMAT Economist reviews - https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/economis ... mat-course

by Ratdog » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:30 am
I'd like to take it within the next 6 months.

As far as a score, I would like to break 700. (I need all the help I can get!)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by NextGreatLeader » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:30 am
People say that it's a mistake to jump right into the OG questions, because you'll want the most practice after you've already learned the foundational skills and key strategies. At that point, you will probably also be able to start noticing patterns in the concepts tested. If you haven't yet mastered the concepts, it's hard to get the most benefit from the OGs.

by Ratdog » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:46 am
Interesting, I see your point. I find myself struggling with many of the questions across all sections, especially in RC.

It looks like I will be signing-up for an on-demand web course. I have looked into Veritas, Magoosh, and Knewton.

Veritas is roughly twice as much as Knewton, but if it's worth it, I'll spring for it.