Importance of the first 5 questions

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Importance of the first 5 questions

by ksc1940 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:30 am
I took a GMAT prep exam yesterday, with my actual exam on october 16th. Scored a 750 but very lopsided: 45 quant, 48 verbal. Looking back, in the quant section I had a hard time with problem #3 for some reason and panicked. After like 4 minutes i guessed and moved on, but that totally destroyed my state of mind and i ended up making DUMB mistakes on questions 4 and 5 as well! As a result, the next dozen questions were all fairly easy, and i got all of them right. What i realized though is that once you miss several questions in the first 5 or 6, it will be VERY difficult to see difficult 49+ questions. Because the quant section only has 37 questions, with as many as 8-10 experimental, the algorithm needs to figure out your skill range very quickly. Contrary to popular advice, I actually do recommend spending more time on the first 5 questions (even up to 3 minutes per question if necessary) to make sure you get them right. After that you will be getting difficult questions where you can afford to make an educated guess once in a while without seriously undermining your score. But missing more than 1 in the first 5 or 6 will make it very hard to get a 49+ on quant.

Of course i'm very interested to hear others' thoughts on this as well.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:31 pm
I agree with much of what you say. Missing 3 of the first 5 and at least 2 of those being "easy" questions is a problem.

But I would say that it is more important not to "bomb" the first several questions and less important that you "ace" them. In your words you made "DUMB mistakes on questions 4 and 5 as well!" Missing question 3 was not a huge deal. Everyone makes mistakes, but if questions 4 and 5 truly were pretty easy those are the type of questions you want to get right whenever you see them.

I am not sure that it is about spending more time on the first 5 or 6 or 10. It is more about making sure that you avoid making those silly errors at all times during the test.

I just want to caution against spending like 4 or 5 minutes on one of the first questions if it is not working out. That is not what is important. Getting the ones right that you can is what is important!

Have you developed some strategies to avoid making the same types of mistakes (on 4 and 5) again?
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by ksc1940 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:08 pm
David@VeritasPrep wrote:I agree with much of what you say. Missing 3 of the first 5 and at least 2 of those being "easy" questions is a problem.

But I would say that it is more important not to "bomb" the first several questions and less important that you "ace" them. In your words you made "DUMB mistakes on questions 4 and 5 as well!" Missing question 3 was not a huge deal. Everyone makes mistakes, but if questions 4 and 5 truly were pretty easy those are the type of questions you want to get right whenever you see them.

I am not sure that it is about spending more time on the first 5 or 6 or 10. It is more about making sure that you avoid making those silly errors at all times during the test.

I just want to caution against spending like 4 or 5 minutes on one of the first questions if it is not working out. That is not what is important. Getting the ones right that you can is what is important!

Have you developed some strategies to avoid making the same types of mistakes (on 4 and 5) again?
Great points, David. And thanks for your input.

I'm in a weird predicament where I actually do better on hard problems than the easier ones. I'm gonna take another gmat prep soon and see if i do better this time around. Not sure why, but on quant my mind isn't as clear, and i tend to make careless mistakes while in verbal i'm in full control. I guess much of it is confidence.

GMAT Instructor

by David@VeritasPrep » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:20 pm
I would recommend that you not take any problems for granted.

It may be that you "gear up" for the more difficult problems and maybe let some things slide on the ones that you feel are easier.

Just make yourself think of every problem as "hard." And take each one seriously. If that makes sense.

Veritas Prep Reviews

by ksc1940 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:13 pm
David@VeritasPrep wrote:I would recommend that you not take any problems for granted.

It may be that you "gear up" for the more difficult problems and maybe let some things slide on the ones that you feel are easier.

Just make yourself think of every problem as "hard." And take each one seriously. If that makes sense.
Yeah absolutely. Question #3 I missed on yesterday's GMAT prep was the following: in an isosceles right triangle, the perimeter is 16+16(square root of 2). What is the length of the hypotenuse?

For some reason i panicked on this one because there was no formula that i could use, so i started plugging in numbers for the legs but for some reason couldn't get the right answer. Looking back, i should have realized that the legs are either 8 or 8(root 2) and then go from there. Pretty dumb, but i got flustered and messed up on questions 4 and 5 as well.

GMAT Instructor

by David@VeritasPrep » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:19 pm
If it helps you to know...I use that problem in Geometry classes all the time and very few people ever get it in 2 to 3 minutes. You are right that the formula does not seem to match up. You can use the 3rd side rule to know that the two sides must total a greater length than the one hypotenuse alone.

That one has taken down lots of people and it makes you mad since it seems simple!

Veritas Prep Reviews

by ksc1940 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:15 pm
David@VeritasPrep wrote:If it helps you to know...I use that problem in Geometry classes all the time and very few people ever get it in 2 to 3 minutes. You are right that the formula does not seem to match up. You can use the 3rd side rule to know that the two sides must total a greater length than the one hypotenuse alone.

That one has taken down lots of people and it makes you mad since it seems simple!
Yes, it's not an obviously easy question. I got panicked right away when I saw the question, and that was my undoing.

I'm wondering if I should retake that test but this time answer question 3 correctly and see how well i would have done on quant. If i still get a 45, that means i'm still not "getting it"; if i improve to say 48 or 49 then that means that i need to just pay more attention to the earlier questions.

by ksc1940 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:32 pm
Took another GMAT prep exam today. Got a 760 but with a much better quant score of 48 and a slightly lower verbal score of 47. I actually missed MORE questions on quant this time around than last but because i missed fewer questions at the beginning i was getting harder questions towards the end. I also never missed more than 2 questions in a row, with one exception for questions 15-17.

A few takeaways. First, my earlier thesis on the importance of the first 5 questions has been all but proven. Second, the real damage, in addition to missing early questions, results when you start missing 3-4 questions wrong CONSECUTIVELY. When that happens the algorithm has downgraded your abilities, and it will take a while for you to recover. On quant, there's only 37 questions, with as many as 8-10 experimental, so you just can't afford to make those mistakes. It's OK to spend a bit more time to answer a few questions correctly and then guess on the next one. The worst strategy would be to spend too much time in the middle of the exam and then force to guess on the last 5 or 6 questions.

GMAT Instructor

by David@VeritasPrep » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:00 pm
The thesis has been proven that the first 5 questions can BREAK your score, but it cannot MAKE your score.

That is the real problem with the way that some people state the first 10 questions theory. I actually had a student who had worked with another company come to me during the first day in class and say she only got to question 19 when she took the GMAT because her instructor told her that only the first questions count and not to even worry about the later questions.

So I agree, try not to miss too many early - especially not "lower difficulty" questions and try not to miss several questions in a row - especially "lower difficulty" questions.

760 is a nice score!

Veritas Prep Reviews

by ksc1940 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:32 pm
David@VeritasPrep wrote:The thesis has been proven that the first 5 questions can BREAK your score, but it cannot MAKE your score.

That is the real problem with the way that some people state the first 10 questions theory. I actually had a student who had worked with another company come to me during the first day in class and say she only got to question 19 when she took the GMAT because her instructor told her that only the first questions count and not to even worry about the later questions.

So I agree, try not to miss too many early - especially not "lower difficulty" questions and try not to miss several questions in a row - especially "lower difficulty" questions.

760 is a nice score!
David, yes you are correct. I guess my definition of "breaking" the score is a bit different from others. Given the schools I'm targeting, any quant score of lower than 48 will be problematic, and i think if you miss several early questions, 48+ becomes all but impossible.

Unreal that your former student actually got that advice from a GMAT instructor. That person should be sued for negligence!

Thanks. My GMAT is on october 16th, so i have plenty of time to further beef up my quant. My goal is 770: 49 quant, 49 verbal. I'm also taking the GRE on the 12th, but that's a lot easier.

GMAT Instructor

by David@VeritasPrep » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:10 pm
My last 770 score was a 49 Quant and a 47 Verbal. So 49 and 49 might be a 780 although it depends - since the same scaled scores can vary in terms of total score by 10 points or so.

Good luck!

Veritas Prep Reviews

by ksc1940 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:59 pm
David@VeritasPrep wrote:My last 770 score was a 49 Quant and a 47 Verbal. So 49 and 49 might be a 780 although it depends - since the same scaled scores can vary in terms of total score by 10 points or so.

Good luck!
If a GMAT instructor such as yourself could not get 50+ on quant, that just shows how hard the quant section has gotten in the last few years. When I was taking GMAT prep, even the early questions required some serious thought. Pretty scary.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:37 am
I just wanted to highlight a couple of other things - I agree with David's excellent points above:

- first, what hurts you most on the GMAT is getting *easy* questions wrong. It really doesn't matter when in the test those questions appear. It is true that higher level test takers are more likely to see easy questions early on, but that is not always true; there are several factors used to select your questions, and your ability estimate is only one of those factors. Even if you're a Q50 test taker, you might see an easy question late in your test which counts, and if you get that question wrong (or need to guess at it), you won't likely get a Q50 score. Question selection is a lot less predictable than many prep books claim.

- re: "I had a hard time with problem #3 for some reason and panicked". I can't stress enough how important it is to learn from your experience with this question. On an adaptive test, unless you're a Q51 test taker, you are going to find *a lot* of questions very challenging on test day. Many of my students who have had Q50 scores have found several of their very early questions extremely difficult on the real test - even the first question can be very hard (I'm nearly certain that it's a myth that the first question is always 'medium level'). If you're a Q49 or Q50 level test taker, it's very important to be prepared for the fact that you'll see some very challenging questions, and you won't get everything right. In fact, you'll probably get between 1/4 and 1/3 of your questions wrong. So you should never panic if you can't answer something; if you're well prepared and are good at math, then if you can't see how to answer a question, it's almost certainly a top level question, and it won't hurt you much to get it wrong. If you let those wrong answers affect your performance later in the test, you won't perform at your level, and won't get the score you expect.

- as you saw on Question 3 on your test, many GMAT questions are much harder than they look. That particular question is not easy at all, even though, at first glance, it might appear to be quite basic. Some of the hardest GMAT questions I've seen appear almost trivially simple at a first reading, but contain some trick or subtlety that makes them deceptively difficult.

- re "After like 4 minutes i guessed and moved on" - this is something you should not normally be doing, unless you are absolutely certain that pacing is not an issue for you. Not only are you likely getting this question wrong by guessing, but by investing 4 minutes, you're likely to be forced to give up on one additional question later in the test, and that additional question might be easy, and thus could hurt you a lot. That's a big sacrifice to make. Since getting hard questions wrong barely hurts you, you should be willing to move on from questions when you can't see a path to an answer within a minute or a minute and a half. Save your time for when you know it will be useful.

- It's definitely true that you should spend more than 2 minutes on a question if you are sure that you will get to an answer. We discussed this issue in a previous thread, and using imprecise assumptions, I arrived at the conclusion that a right answer is normally worth between 2.5 and 3 minutes of time. So if you're sure to get the right answer by spending 3 minutes on a question, that probably is not a bad idea. More than that, and the wrong answers you're likely to get later because you need to rush might be more damaging than the right answer you get now.

- As for getting early questions right, it's "sort of true" that early questions are more important than later ones, for higher level test takers, but that shouldn't affect your approach to the test much at all. You might check your work a bit more carefully on early questions you know how to answer, but that's about it. This is all only the case because early questions are somewhat more likely to be easy than later ones. But if you spend so much time early that you need to guess quite often later, you're making a bad trade most of the time. And if you see hard questions early, they aren't going to be more important than any later easier questions. So in general you should spend more time on early questions if you'll get right answers by doing so, but give up quickly on early questions if you can't see how to answer them in a reasonable amount of time.

- And one last comment: it's a mistake to draw any strong conclusions from one or two GMATPrep tests. The particular statistical properties of the GMATPrep question bank will have too great an influence on your conclusions - for example, if the typical difficulty level of early questions on GMATPrep is quite low, you might conclude after experimenting with the test that early questions are crucially important on the GMAT in general. That's not a valid conclusion (and it's the type of logical issue many CR questions test; you cannot always generalize about a larger set from a subset). The questions you see on the real GMAT might have very different difficulty levels from the ones on GMATPrep, and the conclusions you draw from GMATPrep might not always be applicable to the actual test.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com