if-would or had-would ?

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

if-would or had-would ?

by MakeUrTimeCount » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:44 am
In addition to the great benefits mankind has enjoyed since the discovery of certain technologies, many atrocities would have been prevented had the scientists who made the discoveries had the wisdom to discard such power.

A) had the scientists who made the discoveries had
B) if the scientists who made the discoveries have had
C) if the scientists who made the discoveries had
D) had the scientists who made the discoveries have
E) had the scientists who made the discoveries showed

OA: A

Let's discuss...

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:57 am
MakeUrTimeCount wrote:In addition to the great benefits mankind has enjoyed since the discovery of certain technologies, many atrocities would have been prevented had the scientists who made the discoveries had the wisdom to discard such power.

A) had the scientists who made the discoveries had
B) if the scientists who made the discoveries have had
C) if the scientists who made the discoveries had
D) had the scientists who made the discoveries have
E) had the scientists who made the discoveries showed

OA: A

Let's discuss...
If John HAD had enough money, he WOULD HAVE paid for dinner.

IF + PAST PERFECT + WOULD HAVE is used to express PAST actions that are HYPOTHETICAL/CONTRARY-TO-FACT.
The meaning conveyed here is that John DIDN'T have enough money, so he DIDN'T pay for dinner.

The following express the same meaning:

HAD John had enough money, he WOULD HAVE paid for dinner.
John WOULD HAVE paid for dinner, HAD he had enough money.

This last structure is employed by the original sentence in the SC above:

Many atrocities WOULD HAVE been prevented HAD the scientists had the wisdom to discard such power.

The meaning conveyed is that the scientists DID NOT have the widsom, so the atrocities were NOT prevented.

Thus, the sentence is correct as written.

The correct answer is A.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Johnkate » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:11 am
Hi Mitch,

Doesn't (A) has run-over sentence?
John Kate
-------------------
https://krazzytech.com

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by MakeUrTimeCount » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:30 am
Thanks Milch.

I totallz agree with you on the meaning of the sentence and did not find any thing wrong with the sentence. I have used this construction before, but somehow had doubt about the authenticity of the statement as per GMAT standards. Your reference to OG question has clarified that doubt.

Could you please share your views on B and C. Especially how could one reject C.
Is there any other way to reject these choices except for the subjunctive mood (past tense of whose, I was not aware with).

Thanks

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:22 pm
MakeUrTimeCount wrote:Thanks Milch.

I totallz agree with you on the meaning of the sentence and did not find any thing wrong with the sentence. I have used this construction before, but somehow had doubt about the authenticity of the statement as per GMAT standards. Your reference to OG question has clarified that doubt.

Could you please share your views on B and C. Especially how could one reject C.
Is there any other way to reject these choices except for the subjunctive mood (past tense of whose, I was not aware with).

Thanks
If John HAD enough money, he WOULD pay for dinner.

IF + SIMPLE PAST + WOULD is used to express PRESENT actions that are HYPOTHETICAL/CONTRARY-TO-FACT.
The meaning conveyed here is that John DOESN'T have enough money, so he CAN'T pay for dinner.

In C, if the scientists HAD the wisdom (a present action) does not agree with many atrocities WOULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED (a past action).
In B, if the scientists HAVE HAD the wisdom (present perfect) does not agree with many atrocities WOULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED (a past action).
All the verbs should be in the same tense unless a change in tense is required.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3