idiosyncrasies

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

idiosyncrasies

by kaulnikhil » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:14 am
According to a recent study about monozygotic conception, identical twins reared apart from each other showed striking similarities, including many idiosyncrasies of behavior.
A. According to a recent study about monozygotic conception, identical twins reared apart from each other showed striking similarities, including many idiosyncrasies of behavior.
B. Reared apart from each other, a recent study about monozygotic conception showed striking similarities in identical twins, including many idiosyncrasies of behavior.
C. Reared apart from each other, striking similarities between identical twins that include many idiosyncrasies of behavior were shown in a recent study about monozygotic conception.
D. A recent study about monozygotic conception showed striking similarities in identical twins reared apart from each other that include many idiosyncrasies of behavior.
E. According to a recent study about monozygotic conception, identical twins showed striking similarities reared apart from each other, including many idiosyncrasies of behavior.

[spoiler]
Source gmat club
OA A.
including many idiosyncrasies of behavior is used as verb modifier. Cant understand how can it act as verb modifier as it doest seem to be modifying subject of previous clause nither it expresses the result of a condition in previous clause.
Had there not been a comma it the use of including would have modified similarities and would have been fine...am i missing something?[/spoiler]

Followed by:1 members

by akahuja143 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:49 am
IMO is A

B,C have misplaced modifier
D has a issue with use ofThat

now betweem a nd e reared apart from each other should modifiy twins.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:05 pm
Received a PM asking me to respond.

Is GMAT Club the author of this problem? Or did you just see this problem posted on a GMAT Club forum?

When we ask people to cite the source, we are asking for the author of the problem - this is for copyright issues. If you simply saw it posted on another site, that's similar to saying the "source" of a particular book is your local library. That's just a location, not a source. :)
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

by kaulnikhil » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:45 pm
Stacey Koprince wrote:Received a PM asking me to respond.

Is GMAT Club the author of this problem? Or did you just see this problem posted on a GMAT Club forum?

When we ask people to cite the source, we are asking for the author of the problem - this is for copyright issues. If you simply saw it posted on another site, that's similar to saying the "source" of a particular book is your local library. That's just a location, not a source. :)
Stacey, The question from GMAT Sets .

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:720

by madsadman » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:44 pm
The question is simple because other options are all wrong at first sight. Here is my explanation:

A. According to a recent study about monozygotic conception, identical twins reared apart from each other showed striking similarities, including many idiosyncrasies of behavior. (Both the modifiers are correct and point to the subject they should be pointing to. -> Correct)
B. Reared apart from each other, a recent study about monozygotic conception showed striking similarities in identical twins, including many idiosyncrasies of behavior. ('Reared apart from each other' modifies 'a recent study' -> Incorrect)
C. Reared apart from each other, striking similarities between identical twins that include many idiosyncrasies of behavior were shown in a recent study about monozygotic conception.('Reared apart from each other' modifies 'striking similarities' -> Incorrect)
D. A recent study about monozygotic conception showed striking similarities in identical twins reared apart from each other that include many idiosyncrasies of behavior. (The antecedent of 'that' is 'identical twins' -> Incorrect)
E. According to a recent study about monozygotic conception, identical twins showed striking similarities reared apart from each other, including many idiosyncrasies of behavior. (The statement sounds as if the similarities were reared apart and not the twins -> Incorrect)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:56 am
Thanks! FYI - I am not a fan of GMAT Sets. There are some good questions in there and there are some really bad questions in there, and students can't always tell the difference. I tell my own students not to use the Sets.

", including" is an exception to the ", -ing" adverbial modifier rule. ", including" can (and typically does) modify the noun right before the comma. This is because of the meaning of the word "including" - if it is used to mean "for example" (as it is in this case), then it's just referring to the noun before, similarities.

Now that you know that, does this clear up the confusion for you?
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

by kaulnikhil » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:34 am
Stacey Koprince wrote:
Thanks! FYI - I am not a fan of GMAT Sets. There are some good questions in there and there are some really bad questions in there, and students can't always tell the difference. I tell my own students not to use the Sets.

", including" is an exception to the ", -ing" adverbial modifier rule. ", including" can (and typically does) modify the noun right before the comma. This is because of the meaning of the word "including" - if it is used to mean "for example" (as it is in this case), then it's just referring to the noun before, similarities.

Now that you know that, does this clear up the confusion for you?
Thanks a lot Stacey ..Got it now..