Ibora

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Ibora

by sankruth » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:44 am
A drug that is highly effective in treating many types of infection can, at present, be obtained only from the bark of the ibora, a tree that is quite rare in the wild. It takes the bark of 5,000 trees to make one kilogram of the drug. It follows, therefore, that continued production of the drug must inevitably lead to the ibora’s extinction.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?
(A) The drug made from ibora bark is dispensed to doctors from a central authority.
(B) The drug made from ibora bark is expensive to produce.
(C) The leaves of the ibora are used in a number of medical products.
(D) The ibora can be propagated from cuttings and grown under cultivation.
(E) The ibora generally grows in largely inaccessible places.

Can someone please explain what is wrong with D. The Oa is E

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:614 members
GMAT Score:800

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:45 pm
Not sure where you got those answers from, but your choice is definitely the correct one (and the answer you've stated as correct is defintely wrong).

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course

by sankruth » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:58 pm
Its from the 1000SC set. I guess the OA must be wrong then!

by sibbineni » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:43 pm
could you please explain your answer

Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:770

by simplyjat » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:08 pm
D is the correct answer, look in the question stem
"a tree that is quite rare in the wild".
Here the argument makes an assumption that the tree can only grow in wild and not by cultivation.

There are other loop-holes in in argument, such as removing the bark destroys the tree... but they are not mentioned in the answer choices.

E is not the correct answer, as it strengthens on the the premises "a tree that is quite rare in the wild"...
simplyjat

GMAT Instructor

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:06 am
To make the leap from "it takes a lot of trees to make the drug" to "the tree will become extinct", the author has to be assuming that the supply of trees is finite.

To weaken the argument, we look for an alternative to this assumption. Any answer choice that suggests that the supply of trees isn't as limited as the author says will weaken the conclusion.

(D) says that we can grow the tree at tree farms (or greenhouses, or whatever). If we can grow the tree ourselves without touching the trees in the wild, then there's no reason why the tree should become extinct.

Choose (D).

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount

by sibbineni » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:01 am
thanks stuart

Followed by:1 members

by vineetbatra » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:21 am
Stuart Kovinsky wrote:
(D) says that we can grow the tree at tree farms (or greenhouses, or whatever). If we can grow the tree ourselves without touching the trees in the wild, then there's no reason why the tree should become extinct.

Choose (D).
Stuart,

D sounds correct, but E says that the place is inaccessible areas, and conclusion says "continues production", now if the area is inaccessible then the production cannot even continue and therefore weakens the conclusion.

What is wrong in the way I am thinkging?

GMAT Instructor

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:58 am
vineetbatra wrote:
Stuart Kovinsky wrote:

Choose (D).
Stuart,

D sounds correct, but E says that the place is inaccessible areas, and conclusion says "continues production", now if the area is inaccessible then the production cannot even continue and therefore weakens the conclusion.

What is wrong in the way I am thinkging?
We don't want to argue with the stimulus.

The condition in the conclusion is that if production continues, the tree will become extinct. Even if (e) were a reason why it's difficult to continue production, it wouldn't weaken such a conclusion.

Further, (e) is just too ambiguous. "The Ibora generally grows in largely inaccessible places" isn't strong enough to allow us to conclude that "there are trees that are wholly inaccessible and therefore production won't lead to extinction".

by vineetbatra » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:12 am
[quote="Stuart Kovinsky
We don't want to argue with the stimulus.

The condition in the conclusion is that if production continues, the tree will become extinct. Even if (e) were a reason why it's difficult to continue production, it wouldn't weaken such a conclusion.

quote]
Thanks for the response Stuart, what I understand of a weakening question is either one can target the conclusion/premise directly, or bring in new information that will target conclusion/premise.

Production cannot continue because Ibora generally grows in areas that are largely inaccessible. So if the trees cannot be reached then the trees cannot be used to create drug, so if no producion then extinction because of production.

So I am directly targeting the conclusion itself.

Hope I am able to explain my difficulty/reasoning clearly.

GMAT Instructor

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:00 am
[quote="vineetbatra]Thanks for the response Stuart, what I understand of a weakening question is either one can target the conclusion/premise directly, or bring in new information that will target conclusion/premise.

Production cannot continue because Ibora generally grows in areas that are largely inaccessible. So if the trees cannot be reached then the trees cannot be used to create drug, so if no producion then extinction because of production.

So I am directly targeting the conclusion itself.

Hope I am able to explain my difficulty/reasoning clearly.[/quote]

You're correct in your general reasoning - one way to weaken is to directly cast doubt on the conclusion.

You're reading the conclusion as "the ibora will become extinct". The problem with your analysis is that the conclusion is actually "continued production will lead to the ibora becoming extinct".

Accordingly, we don't need to worry about production stopping, since continued production is a precondition of the author's conclusion even being relevant.

Let's examine an analagous (and more straightforward) statement:

"If I eat too much ice cream, I'll get fat."

Let's say we wanted to weaken this prediction. The equivalent to (e) would be:

"The store is out of ice cream",

a reason why we don't have to worry about eating ice cream in the first place. The equivalent to (d) could be:

"I can exercise more to burn off the extra calories from the ice cream",

which provides an alternative to getting fat.

The store being out of ice cream doesn't weaken the prediction, because the prediction is based on the condition "if I eat ice cream"; the actual availability of ice cream is irrelevant to the situation.

Of course, as I stated in my earlier post, the above issue isn't the only one with (e). In fact, a better equivalent for (e) would be:

"some stores might be out of ice cream",

which clearly doesn't weaken the prediction at all.

by vineetbatra » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:42 am
Thanks Stuart, that was a good explanation, now I understand the flaw in my reasoning.

Vineet

by ov25 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:30 pm
Stuart wrote:
You're correct in your general reasoning - one way to weaken is to directly cast doubt on the conclusion.

You're reading the conclusion as "the ibora will become extinct". The problem with your analysis is that the conclusion is actually "continued production will lead to the ibora becoming extinct".

Accordingly, we don't need to worry about production stopping, since continued production is a precondition of the author's conclusion even being relevant.

Let's examine an analagous (and more straightforward) statement:

"If I eat too much ice cream, I'll get fat."

Let's say we wanted to weaken this prediction. The equivalent to (e) would be:

"The store is out of ice cream",

a reason why we don't have to worry about eating ice cream in the first place. The equivalent to (d) could be:

"I can exercise more to burn off the extra calories from the ice cream",

which provides an alternative to getting fat.

The store being out of ice cream doesn't weaken the prediction, because the prediction is based on the condition "if I eat ice cream"; the actual availability of ice cream is irrelevant to the situation.

Of course, as I stated in my earlier post, the above issue isn't the only one with (e). In fact, a better equivalent for (e) would be:

"some stores might be out of ice cream",

which clearly doesn't weaken the prediction at all
Although I agree to Stuart, I think E is a strong contender, infact is the right answer.

Two reasons:
1) Concl: if you continue production, the world will run out of the bark.
D says -> We can graft and produce more and don't have to depend on its natural existence and growth - Yes weakens, but you need to assume here that 'grafting and producing these could keep up with the pace and not having to loose all these grafted shoots leading to extinction'. E says no matter what you will never run out of them.

2) The example Staurt chose is slightly misleading imo. The correct parallel to the simple example should be something to the extent of
"If I eat too much ice cream, my home will run out of ice cream"
D: I replace the ice cream every thursday
E: Some of the ice cream has managed to find its way to places I can never get to in my home.

The question asks for 'most seriously weakens' so even though both D and E weaken, E does not require any assumptions and does it more seriously.

Stuart help us here...I could be missing something.