I screwed up my verbal with 16 again!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members

by Night reader » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:19 pm
gmat7202011 wrote: No one can help you more than yourself. Period

Sorry if i was rude, but i really want you to suck it up and fight it out in a constructive manner.
look I am going to be placed with the triple accredited (AACSB, EQUIS, AMBA) institution for the fall 2011 for my prospective PhD studies. I have lost nothing, as GMAT has helped me to score a good 780 in quant with the minimum prep for new test format (GRE) last week. I have been convinced that my verbal score sucks, indeed, BUT not below the mark 28(!) as the worst case scenario. I scored 22 in verbal on November 04 2009 without any prep and looking into OG for the test format - SC, RC, CR. Moreover, two years back I ran out of time and guessed on the questions 34-41.

You are correct,as my score went into history and will be lowering my chances for grad. admissions into top schools for the next 5 years (reportable period). Therefore, I have decided to be guided with not GMAT score.

Thanks for all your help and all considerations articulated. I am convinced more than ever and how it could be said or explained that GMAT exam is BIASED against many factors not cited/listed by the test writers and evaluators. This may not sound "sound" to some high scoring GMAT takers BUT will prompt many serious heads to revisit an idea of taking GMAT in the long run.

last word to the poster here - @artstudent, I don't know what was your implied meaning when you said this:
artstudent wrote: stop being delusional and acting like you are part of some rare portion of the population that's really good at the test but got shafted. there are those people out there. but by definition, chances are you are not one of them. cuz they are rare.
I could only question: does it take only rare people to score some 20s even? why 16? how much biased you are

thanks anyway ...
Last edited by Night reader on Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My knowledge frontiers came to evolve the GMATPill's methods - the credited study means to boost the Verbal competence. I really like their videos, especially for RC, CR and SC. You do check their study methods at https://www.gmatpill.com

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:27 pm
NR, I understand your feelings. I know it is hard and it is unfair. Maybe you are even right about the GMAT.

But really, you are passing fear of GMAT onto many by saying such strong things. There is enough tension without these messages. :(
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members

by Night reader » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:36 pm
@vineeshp, what's wrong? I said it is rather beneficial experience to prep for GMAT without even succeeding in exam. So many GMAT related aspects are praised by me. Why should I have passed any fear? Am I that guy who scored 16 in verbal and could not read between the lines, or something wrong with my interpretation - please let me know.
My knowledge frontiers came to evolve the GMATPill's methods - the credited study means to boost the Verbal competence. I really like their videos, especially for RC, CR and SC. You do check their study methods at https://www.gmatpill.com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by srvand » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:30 pm
NR,u simply take GMAT for granted..if u get the low score,blame it on GMAT algorithm,format,experimental questions etc..etc..You open the thread telling tat GMAT exam is not authentic or so,creating panic among members and finally closing the thread telling tat this thread is simply opened to let u know why u scored low in verbal.

I have few concerns here.Purposefully I am asking u in a harsh way as I can't take it anymore

1.If u got placed in triple accredited institution with your GRE score,then y can't u just accept it and move one?Instead you are still blaming the GMAT algorithm.Send as much as mails to GMAC,your score is still 16.

2.Your 30+ or so in CATS or GMATPREP does not guarantee high score in real GMAT.Its depends upon several factors.

3.Again n again few members mentioned here.Did u review your mistakes in a proper manner?Or just seeing it one time and carelessly again doing the same mistake.

4.You could have answered many questions in Quant and verbal in BTG.But does tat make u to score high in GMAT?your explanations are like that.

5.Few months back,I have seen many popular members who failed miserably in the exam.But still they accept it and move on.I have been using BTG for past 2 yrs.YOU are the only member who questioned about the GMAT exam in a very stupid manner so far.

6.If u score 16 in verbal,its YOURS and only YOUR MISTAKE.Nothing else.Not gmat algorithm or exp ques or watsover.If u cant accept it, u better keep quiet.

7.However talented ur in verbal/Quant,if u cant prepare in GMAT way,then you still will score low in GMAT.

You are the funny guy who blame it on GMAT exam in every possible way.But one thing you created an example for future test takers who can blame it simply on GMAT exam when they score low.
Last edited by srvand on Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:39 pm
Night reader wrote:@vineeshp, what's wrong? I said it is rather beneficial experience to prep for GMAT without even succeeding in exam. So many GMAT related aspects are praised by me. Why should I have passed any fear? Am I that guy who scored 16 in verbal and could not read between the lines, or something wrong with my interpretation - please let me know.
I guess u r wasting a hell of time debating a less useful stuff !! Move on bro!!

Legendary Member

by gmatmachoman » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:51 pm
srvand wrote:
You are the funny(may be stupid also) guy who blame it on GMAT exam in every possible way.But one thing you created an example for future test takers who can blame it simply on GMAT exam when they score low.

NR's convincing stories for his debacle is something like : This is like a saying in telugu ( a regional language in India) that when a damsel dancer underperforms in a competition and she was asked the reason for it.. She exclaimed that the "floor" was not smooth enough for her to exhibit her talent!!! LOL!!

NR, guess u r falling in to the rarest of the species that the mankind has known so far!! Wish u goodluck.

by srvand » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:16 am
I am convinced more than ever and how it could be said or explained that GMAT exam is BIASED against many factors not cited/listed by the test writers and evaluators. This may not sound "sound" to some high scoring GMAT takers BUT will prompt many serious heads to revisit an idea of taking GMAT in the long run.
This is an great insult to high scoring GMAT takers.They didn't JUST-study,took the CATS and wrote the test and score high.They studied under a very consistent,structured GMAT way unlike u NR.Do u think some 'Serious heads' listen to whatever u blabber and think about taking GMAT?Really if they are serious they wont give u a damn of whatever ur saying.

One request to BTG members.Don't believe this GMAT algorithm or so crap mentioned by NR.
If u people put good efforts and follow the GMAT study approach as suggested by experts in BTG,definitely you can score high.

No wonder experts r not posting any comments in this thread.

by srvand » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:21 am
gmatmachoman wrote:
srvand wrote:
You are the funny(may be stupid also) guy who blame it on GMAT exam in every possible way.But one thing you created an example for future test takers who can blame it simply on GMAT exam when they score low.

NR's convincing stories for his debacle is something like : This is like a saying in telugu ( a regional language in India) that when a damsel dancer underperforms in a competition and she was asked the reason for it.. She exclaimed that the "floor" was not smooth enough for her to exhibit her talent!!! LOL!!

NR, guess u r falling in to the rarest of the species that the mankind has known so far!! Wish u goodluck.
NR,I am wondering what would u say if the GMAT exam is held in paper instead of CAT.
Last edited by srvand on Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member

by gmatmachoman » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:43 am
srvand wrote:
I have few concerns here.Purposefully I am asking u in a harsh way as I can't take it anymore

@srvand,

Man, I know what was running in ur mind....its just that we wasted few precious moments of our life for a junk/crap discussion for a "psycho".

Atleast in my case, i am fooled!! NR, did u really take the GMAT conducted by GMAC this year ???

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by armyoftim » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:38 am
Yeah, this thread is definitely posted in the wrong forum (I kid). I think it's pretty clear that most people disagree with Night reader, but this discussion has gotten a little ugly.

Anyway, sometimes you have to take a healthy dose of ego-supressant in order to improve. Artstudent was right on with his initial post. Pretty much every subsequent post on this thread has added little/no value to this community.

by srvand » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:43 am
Sorry BTG members if my posts are little harsh.I have no intention to abuse NR.When he keep on sending wrong messages to the people,I can't tolerate it anymore.

If it's wrong whatever I told please let me know.I ll delete my posts.
Last edited by srvand on Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by artstudent » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:44 am
totally agreed. i can't take this anymore.

i said i won't reply to NR anymore and I won't. this is motivation for all the other gmat takers:

I know someone who scored a 730 recently. He is 90% blind (gmac accommodated for this)and learned English after two other languages in his teens and from poor family background.

yes a blind person taking the gmat. can you imagine the disadvantaged during the test and in preparation? that means not BTG, no manhattan gmat etc...

his only advantage was he didn't have to read this thread.

srvand wrote:
I am convinced more than ever and how it could be said or explained that GMAT exam is BIASED against many factors not cited/listed by the test writers and evaluators. This may not sound "sound" to some high scoring GMAT takers BUT will prompt many serious heads to revisit an idea of taking GMAT in the long run.
This is an great insult to high scoring GMAT takers.They didn't JUST-study,took the CATS and wrote the test and score high.They studied under a very consistent,structured GMAT way unlike u NR.Do u think some 'Serious heads' listen to whatever u blabber and think about taking GMAT?Really if they are serious they wont give u a damn of whatever ur saying.

One request to BTG members.Don't believe this GMAT algorithm or so crap mentioned by NR.
If u people put good efforts and follow the GMAT study approach as suggested by experts in BTG,definitely you can score high.

No wonder experts r not posting any comments in this thread.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by neodante » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:04 am
Your story sounds scary!I think it is very unfortunate that after preparing for such a long duration, you should have gotten this score.

Legendary Member

by gmatmachoman » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:30 am
Guys,

I got a "warning" message from RadiumBall that I will be banned for using Abusive language.

Now I am wondering who the hell is he to threaten me??By the way where did i use "abusive language"?

I have been a longstanding contributor to BTG . Hope u guys acknowledge!!

Seems NR posts has triggered me a LOT.

Fine NR, sorry for my comments. DO what ever u want. A BIG sorry frm my end.

I never thought i will be warned for no fault of mine!!

@Eric:

Are u hearing me???

by srvand » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:02 am
I also got a warning message from the user 'RadiumBall' that I will be banned for using Abusive Language.

Are u kidding me?This guy NR keep on blabbering something and creating panic.Should we people sit simply and take pity on him?

Long back(some 1 yr back) there were healthy arguments,debate about GMAT among the members.Those who failed miserably in GMAT took a break,reviewed their methods and tackle the GMAT again with flying colors.But what is happening now?Some guy s telling to consider about taking the GMAT exam.

BTG is an very respectable community.Its sole purpose is to guide people to get a good score in GMAT.