I didn't beat it. Atrocious score. 600 (Q: 47, V: 26)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
I was dismayed when I saw a 600 on the screen after completing the exam. I was hoping for atleast a 650 because I knew I'd done pathetic on verbal. For some reason my timing was completely off in verbal as I had to guess last 12 questions in verbal which had not happened to me till date throughout all my practice tests.

Some details about the test:

The math section is pretty easy. Fairly basic questions, only a couple of them on probability and P & C. My timing was a little bit off in math as I had to guess the last 4 questions but I pretty much knew I would get at least a 47.

The verbal section was way tougher than either OG or supplemental guide or GMATPrep. I had done the verbal supplemental guide with almost 98% accuracy under timing and so I was very confident about getting atleast a 38-40 on verbal. The RC's and critical reasoning's were extremely convoluted just like the Kaplan Online CAT. SC was a notch higher than GMATPrep or OG level. After first 15 questions or so on which I spent a lot of time, when I saw the time left I knew I would not be able to finish the section and thats when my meltdown started. I could not concentrate on a single question and things just went haywire post that.

A few things I learned from this experience -- NEVER underestimate the GMAT. One must make sure that fundamentals are strong specially in the verbal section. And last but not the least -- Don't Panic may whatever happen!!

I'm retaking the GMAT in February and this time I hope to learn from my mistakes and do well.

Legendary Member
Followed by:25 members
GMAT Score:730
kunsjoi wrote: I had done the verbal supplemental guide with almost 98% accuracy under timing and so I was very confident about getting atleast a 38-40 on verbal. .
The story of my life!

There has to be an explanation for this PARADOX!
LGTCH
---------------------
"DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR DREAM!"

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by dime0000 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:50 am
First timer posting - be kind. :lol:

Maybe I'm an under achiever - or maybe I have different goals - but if i get a 600, i'll be happy.

I've been busting by behind the past few weeks on studying. My first practice test last weekend was a mere 480. I have to work on my timing, as i spent way too much time on math, thus missing a few.

Fortunetly, I only need a 400 to be concidered in to a local program. :)

Well - it looks like you have time. I, on the other hand, do not. My test date is the 22nd of this month, with a goal of getting in on an 'early administration' deal deadline of the 23rd.

Thanks for the tips, though. I've been spending a lot of time on the math now, but i'll try not to over look the verbal.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by kunsjoi » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:39 am
I just received my AWA score. Got a 5.5

I had neither studied for AWA nor written a single essay before the actual Exam. Considering that I think I did well. My past blogging experience did help me quite a bit.

However, I think not writing essays during practice test was a mistake on my part. Going forward I'm going to attempt AWA every single time I take a practice test. I'm doing this as part of my endurance and stamina building strategy.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:550

AWA 6; Q44; V28

by mww7786 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:46 pm
Man, I'm exhausted. . .took my test Oct 29th. Any info on verbal yet?

Mark
Orlando, Florida
Q 44 V 28 AWA 6 HELP?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Re: AWA 6; Q44; V28

by bacali » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:10 pm
mww7786 wrote:Man, I'm exhausted. . .took my test Oct 29th. Any info on verbal yet?

Mark
Orlando, Florida
Hey Mark, how'd you get a 6 on the AWA??