I can't seem to join the GMAT 700+ Club!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by bmy.junk » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:17 am

Score Details
Q-48 (86%)
V-36 (80%)
Total-690 (91%)

This is actually the second time I've taken the GMAT. I took the GMAT about 9 months ago and scored a 670 (Q-47, V-35, 89%). Going into the test today, I was confident I would score higher than I did previously. However, I was hoping/expecting to reach the 700 level.

Quantitative
For some reason, I had convinced myself after my first GMAT that I was "unlucky" with the set of Quantitative questions I received. However, I found out today that this was not true. In both exams I ran out of time towards the end of the section. Like before, I spent the final 3 minutes rushing through the last 5 or so questions. This lack of time was caused by my inability to give up on questions is the beginning/middle part of the section. I’ve always had a hard time conceding to take an educated guess on a math question. Because of my stubbornness, I probably spent too much time on either a difficult or an experimental question (which would be even worst). I would say that the majority of the more difficult questions involved number theory. And by the way, over the span of two GMATs, I ran across zero questions about probability, combinations, or permutations.

Verbal
Since the last time I took the exam, I tried to focus on honing my verbal skills. Yet, after receiving my score today, I can't say I did much better. The questions were very typical of those found within the GMAT Prep software. I can't add much to what others have said on this website. Just remember that by the time you get to the Verbal section, you've sat for a couple of hours in front of the computer and (depending on the time of your test) may start to feel hungry. I suggest bringing a snack, getting a drink of water, or getting some fresh air in between sections.

Before deciding to take the GMAT the second time, I felt that I needed to answer the following questions:
1) Could I really improve my score? And if so, could I increase my score significantly?
2) Was my first score really that bad? Would it really prevent me from getting into the schools I really wanted to go to?
3) Could I use my time more effectively in other areas of the application?

For me, I felt like I needed to take the GMAT again because my first score, which I didn’t view as a terrible score, was not indicative of my test-taking abilities. Also, I felt I had some extra time because schools were only starting to release their applications for this year’s cycle.

I’ve decided that I am done with the GMAT test. At this point, it is more important that I spend my time on other aspects of the application (primarily the essays and recommendations). I think this website is wonderful and is a great asset for anyone preparing for the GMAT. Good luck to everyone taking the GMAT and applying to business school this year.

--------------------
Pre-Test Scores:
12/12/2005 GMAT (Q-47, 81%; V-35, 77%; 670, 89%)
6/3/2006 Power Prep 1 (Q-48, 90%; V37, 82%; 700, 93%)
6/9/2006 Princeton Review CAT 1 (Q-42; V-30; 590)
6/18/2006 Kaplan CAT 1 (Q-36; V-29; 550, 60%)
7/3/2006 Princeton Review CAT 2 (Q-46; V-35; 650)
7/6/2006 Princeton Review CAT 3 (Q-42; V-32; 610)
7/8/2006 Power Prep 2 (Q-48, 90%; V-40, 90%; 720, 96%)
7/22/2006 GMAT Prep 1 (690)
7/30/2006 GMAT Prep 2 (Q-44; V-42; 710)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:32 pm
Congratulations, bmy.junk! You should be proud of your score.

Thanks for providing this great debrief post, and I wish you all the best in your upcoming MBA apps!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school