i beat the gmat!- well ALMOST!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

i beat the gmat!- well ALMOST!

by NityaV » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:28 pm
Before the emotion and drama wears off..i need to pen down my GMAT experience....
I will spare you the details of the "why" but I should mention that my decision to pursue an MBA was the outcome of a very grim 2009 Christmas holiday. Till then I hadn't, in the slightest, thought about an MBA or any kind of further education,.
Everything I know of the process was learnt over the 45 day period starting 11th Jan. Since the whole process, all at once was too overwhelming I read and read and found the common denominator of all applications- the GMAT. It took me a good week to get my head around it. I then stumbled on to BeatThe Gmat which was a big step forward for me since I have no contact with anyone who has done anything like this. In my industry, doing an MBA is relatively unheard of, no one I know has gone downt hat route.
It was great to know there were many others out there and that I was not venturing on to unknown territory.
Did the og12 the first 15 days, bought McGraw Hill once the OG was done (MGH was the cheapest guide available- and I was fairly broke) I wasn't happy with it- too many mistakes etc- had to buy Kaplan, spent the last 30 days with Kaplan- well the details aren't that important- and I'm sure you will find a much better strategy on this forum- i almost didn't have a strategy- as my posts in here over the past 2 months will show �
Exam day- exam was at five, I went for a long run and swim to calm the nerves, checked this forum a million times...and then figured I would never be able to be at ease at home and went down to the test centre 3 hrs before my test. I registered and was told to come back in 3 hrs. within ½ hr while I was buying my 8th coffee for the day...I got a call from them saying they had a spot if I wanted to start early- I really was in a fix- if I had you guys on speed dial you phone would have been ringing like crazy!
Anyway I started my exam an hour before the appointment. Finished my essays and went for a short break. Red Bull and a Chocolate Muffin- had absolutely no appetite but figured it would take my mind off the exam.
Math-
got stuck on one question- queston 2..it was VERY simple but I had hit that wall..it was the second question and although I had read equal number of opinions on either side of the -first-five-questions theory..i was determined to get it right. I set my self 2 minutes more and then moved on. I don't think I got it right anyway
BTW centre was well equipped complete with noise cancelling head phones etc...now I work fine in noisy places, but they were VERY useful...especially when you have people typing out their essays furiously.

I looked at the time 45 mins and I 10 questions left...so I relaxed. Got this question-coordinate geometry- my strength and my favourite area..i had the answer within a minute- but it wasn't an answer choice...it was impossible I was dead sure of the answer (I STILL AM) I have the question vividly in my head but im sure there are rules about reproducing it on a forum (are there?) anyway..i worked and reworked on it...exactly the same answer! I rationalized, approximated and the answer choices didn't come close...painfully but thankfully I let it go after FIFTEEEN whole minutes...though, I fell way behind on the final questions...glanced at the clock on the last question 3 minutes...more than enough...but the timer was flashing and couldn't get my eyes off it for continuing with the 37th question. I GUESSED my last answer- to make the ordeal stop. I will NEVER EVER forget that coord geom. question!!!!

Anyway finished verbal with 40 minutes to spare...I stopped at question 41, this was it...I was going to see my result I was shaking!!! I think I spent 10 minutes on the last qn screen ...almost wrote the whole (sc) question on my notepad..Decided it was ridiculous and that I had to get on with it...I was almost emotional that it was over.
Result 690, 88th Percentile
Math 46, 76th percentile
Verbal 39 , 87th percentile
Ok..i had planned to keep the post short, so will close it here-
it IS a marathon, the anticipation, the training, the patience with the training, the pacing, the exhilaration when it ends, and the almost a sudden vacuum when its over- well at least right before the rest of the application procedure begins!
Ironically enough I was reading a blog on the gmat , last week, and the person was looking at retaking the exam after a gmat score of 670 and I remember thinking to myself..."geez I would never think of retake with that score!"..and now every time I look at the score..it says to me..im a 690...good! But not quite the 700...

For now, I'll see it from my flatmate's point of view- 690, has more character ;)!

by NityaV » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:35 pm
i CANT BELIEVE I ALMOST FORGOT..THHHHHAAANKS guys!

i just have to say you guys have been fantastic....for someone wgho had no outlet for the regular GMAT frustrations- you guys were saviours!! especially the bit leading tot he exam
eric, money9111, sarthak..-thanks a bunch...

i need to break it to my boss now...its tricky business asking for references.....in my industry, they take leave almost personally :)

money9111- i read your post about this earlier..tell me how it worked out :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:36 am
CONGRATS Nitya! We all loved following your story, and it's so good to hear that you've had a happy ending to your GMAT. You rock! :)
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Mattp » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:32 am
Hey Nitya, Our scores are pretty close! Did you finalize the schools to apply? I submitted informal assessment to Cranfield and Cass and they both said the same thing - try next year. Wanna know what you're doing about applying for this year....

by NityaV » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:29 pm
geez!!:( really? thats so disappointing.... what do you mean informal application though?

I finished the gmat on monday and thgouht id start applying this weeek.. ..i wonder why the dont go on and say that the class is full/applicatons are close. wouold really save time wouldnt it.

I think ill appply anyway..thgouh it will be very disapointing and not to mention EXPENSIVE.. are you applying to EU schools only?