Hypothetical Subjunctive

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:700

Hypothetical Subjunctive

by chaitanya.mehrotra » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:35 pm
The concept of Hypothetical Subjunctive is very confusing to me . Can somebody explain same ?
Tried reading the Man SC book but it is still not clear .

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:06 pm
If the sentence refers to something that is hypothetical (e.g. "if I were on a sunny beach right now instead of at my computer", then subjunctive "were" is used, rather than "was".
Tani Wolff

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by MM_Ed » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:37 pm
The hypothetical subjunctive is the mood of the verb used when something hypothetical is being proposed.
"It would be interesting if President Obama were to announce a new running mate for the 2012 election."
"I suggest you look into this business proposal carefully before investing in it."

Each situation describes something that isn't happening, hasn't happened, and isn't guaranteed to happen - just the speaker's imagination or desire.

Side note: I honestly had no idea what 'hypothetical subjunctive' meant until I read your post, and then I looked it up on Wikipedia. Grammar's a very interesting topic, but I'd suggest going by your guts instead of getting entangled in terminology. Sure, we should know what a verb is, but in this case the 'feel' of a sentence is more important than worrying about jargon. It's also faster!
If you found one of my answers useful, hit the shiny Thanks button! : )

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by [email protected] » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:23 pm
Hi,

Please check the attached PDF. It will make Subjunctive clear.
Attachments
Subjunctive.pdf
Subjunctive - in detail.
(79.14 KiB) Downloaded 70 times