Humiliated 570 (3rd try, second cancelled)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
1st time I took the GMAT (Summer this year) I got a 540. Looking back, I was ill prepared.

2nd time took it in August. I looked up at the clock and was just about to start the last RC passage with 5 minutes left and it was a hard passage so at that moment I chose to cancel my test and I feel I did the right thing.

3rd time (yesterday), went into the Pearson Center guns blazing. And boy was I prepared. I got my pacing now pat. Essays went well, finished before time.

Next up Quant. I felt good mid way because my pacing was just right, got a probability question and a bunch of tricky XY plane questions etc. I felt good. I said YES bring on Verbal.

Verbal started, got my pacing right but the RC passages didn't seem as challenging as some that I had previously taken so I said 'hmm' but still didn't worry. When I noticed I didn't get any Boldface CR questions I worried abit but still finished up the exam and didn't bat an eyelid when I chose to view my scores. I told myself, "worst case scenario - 6something'. Boy was I surprised when I saw the 570 on the screen.
Verbal 32
Quant 35

My practice test scores, though not accurate because I saw repeat questions were all 700+ on Manhattan GMAT and GMAT Prep. I actually mastered SC and so I'm dejected because this score does not reflect my abilities. As of yesterday I said 'that is it' but today I'm contemplating a 4th try because I believe I can get 680-720 I seriously don't know what went wrong. Whether it was my nerves or just silly mistakes that did me in.

I'm not a believer in the 1st 10 questions theory because if I were to focus on the 1st 10 questions, I'd be screwed for the entire test coz I'd then get nervous and won't be able to concentrate.

Sucks you have to wait 30 days to retake the exam. November will be my last attempt at this horrid exam because I'm targeting Round 2. I know it won't reflect well on my applications when they see 4 attempts but screw it. I don't think any of the top schools will take me seriously with my 570 even though I'm confident in my story to be told in my essays and supported by my recommendations

Should I go for a 4th try?

The GMAT sucks majorly and has made a mockery of me.
Last edited by ownedbytheGMAT on Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by ownedbytheGMAT » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:37 am
I also face a pretty sucky situation. If I were to retake the GMAT in November, I've run out of preparation material.

The other GMAT prep material worth anything save GMAT Prep and ManhattanGMAT (both of which I now know inside out)is Knewton but you have to cough out a tough $600 for access!!

Somebody tell Knewton to let me purchase their CATs as a standalone so that I can get a chance at the GMAT and save myself from my current career and go to B-School!!

Knewton help this desperate dude out!! PLEASE!!!

Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:760

by brandonsun » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:01 pm
Don't give up. Stay in there. Where there is a will, there is a way.

Business schools only look at your highest scores anyway so don't worry about the frequency of your attempts (though five might leave a sour taste).

At the darkest moment of the night, the stars shine their brightest. I am glad you have the resilience to not give up and aim for a fourth try.

Good luck.

by ownedbytheGMAT » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:05 pm
Thanks for the support BrandonSun.

A friend told me he feels the first 10 questions must have been the problem. See I've heard conflicting reports about it. Based on the GMAT Prep software I don't think this is true but who knows what scoring algorithm is in that PearsonVue GMAT score calculator anyways.

My focus now is getting good test prep materials but I'm kinda short on funds and don't wanna cough out $600 for Knewton. I know that exam inside out. I've covered the concepts and know the pacing strategy that works. I just need for the stars to align come November.

Arghhhh I'm pissed and I want to get back at the GMAT for making a mockery of me!! Arghhh!!

by calical » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:37 am
I am sorry to hear about your last attempt, but I know you will receive that 600's score next time. What materials did you use to study for exam? How did you prepare for the exam?

by ownedbytheGMAT » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:02 am
Manhattan GMAT Books and OG 11 and 12 for prep and also the Manhattan CATs and Gmat Prep softwared.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by xcusemeplz2009 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:03 am
In a situation like this if i had been at your place i would have given more thoughts on the techniques i am using to ans ; In one of my prctice test i scored the same in quants even though i was able to solve 35 Q in quants and guessed 2. In quants its frustrating when u are able to crack the Q but in the end u come to knw that a silly mistake made u chosing a temting wrong ans.This is the time when we need to doubt ourself that how come one is facing a question of such an easy level.

its very important to make a higher accuracy in first 15 Q it will ensure a 40+ score in quants.

usually any one scoring in the range of 44-48 ends up with high 30's only because of silly mistakes not because of tough Q.

Verbal I wont be able to comment much as i myself struggling to see a 30+ in practice tests.

The above are my feelings it may not be 100% true.

only one advise:- rather than practicing tough problem (as you may not even have reached to that level in your last attempt), prctice how to improve accuaracy under time pressue.

All the best for next attempt and make it a concluding one.
It does not matter how many times you get knocked down , but how many times you get up