How to showcase excellent communication skill ?

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
I belong to the competetive Indian/Tech/Male Category. The perceived weakness of this group is on the softer side, namely communication skill.

Is there any way to exhibit superior communication skill to the adcoms - before the interviews ?
My TOEFL speaking score is 24 and the overall score is 111.
Though I can improve my speaking score,i believe there must be better ways to demonstrate the same.

Any suggestions ? Will taking any other exam serve the purpose ?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:4 members

by mbaMissionSusanK » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:00 am
Hi,
It is good that you are trying to differentiate yourself from other similar applicants. You have a great opportunity to showcase your soft skills in your essays to the schools. Think about what soft skills you best exhibit - communication, teamwork, leadership - and use clear examples in your essays to demonstrate your abilities. Keep in mind that you will want to use professional examples, but can also pull in community service and personal stories. Have you done anything like tutoring for reading or public speaking? You can also include accomplishments on your resume that demonstrate your soft skills. Overall, make sure you are balancing with your overall skills and demonstrating through examples and not just telling the committee.

Susan Kaplan
Senior Consultant
mbaMission
646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php