How to fix the gap in Career?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

How to fix the gap in Career?

by kszunzun » Tue May 05, 2009 9:09 pm
Hi,
I m preparing for MBA starting fall 2010.
I completed my engineering (IT) in 2004 and worked till Feb 2007 in India with Software MNCs and had good work experience including client interactions and early promotion. then I resigned as I was getting married and came to USA. I had to wait for a Work visa. Fortunately I got my H1B but could not get a job in this recession :-(.
In a nutshell :
worked from july 2004- feb 2008.
Thereafter visa issue and did not work till date .
Planning to apply for Aug 2010 (Aiming for Stanford)

Can I do something from now(May 2009) to fix the gap? Given that jobs are not available and I am also preparing for my GMAT (planning in Aug), followed by the application writing.

Can it be helpful to take some kind of classes and get transcript? if yes is it possible in this time frame? I'm interested in doing an MBA in Leadership Development or Consulting?What kind of courses should I consider?

I'll be really thankful if you can answer these queries.

Thanks in advance,
Shipra.

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by Cindy Tokumitsu » Sat May 09, 2009 11:41 am
Hello,

Your idea about taking classes might be good -- especially if they're relevant for your goals and/or address a weakness in your transcript.

However, it will take a while to get a transcript. You also could consider doing substantial volunteer work and taking a leadership role. I suggest selecting an organization whose mission you genuinely support. Also, I've found that local, small organizations are much more open to newcomers and will be happy to give you a leadership role, say a committee chair or something along those lines.

This experience will also give you an opportunity to develop fresh and interesting material for your essays when that time comes.

Best regards,
Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Editor, Accepted.com
www.Accepted.com