How to explain low GMAT?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:620

How to explain low GMAT?

by giggle1050 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:57 am
Hi Accepted team

I took GMAT twice but I am circling in the same range of 600s (620 to 640). I have been searching on this forum about the explanations people have given for low GMAT. Many people have used personal problems to justify low scores.
Is it okay to do that? The reason I am asking is that I am undergoing a divorce and admist all that I took GMAT twice. I didn't want to give that as an explanation because I am not sure how is it viewed by the Adcom... also I didn't want to gain anyone's sympathy.
But honestly, taking GMAT, was tough. I couldn't get books home to study. I had to either go to the local library or the coffee shop. I was also adjusting to a new country and a new job.
People usually have work stress to deal with, I had to deal with both work and personal.
I am sure once I am out of the situation and on my own I can get a better score. But, I didnt want to wait one whole year for that.

Let me know your thoughts

by jarome101 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:55 am
I am not a consultant but am in the same boat (with the 620 GMAT), for what it is worth I do not feel that you should try to explain the reasons you did bad on the exam, instead reason why the test is not indicatitive of your abilities to succeed at school. I pointed to strong undergraduate classes in quant courses and post grad work that is quant focused. If you can not do that, enroll in a community college course in basic stats or calc and prove to adcom that you can handle the mba program. Also if they have prep work before classes reference that (it shows you did your homework). I think it is possible to have them overlook the GMAT but you need to have a stellar application with strong essays, ec's, and other things to be a distractor.

by giggle1050 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:48 am
hey
Thanks for replying. My concern is not quant but Verbal. Do you think I can take some classes for that? If yes, what do you suggest?

Thanks again

by jarome101 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:08 pm
What is your break down, your verbal may be lower percent wise but if your Math <80% then you should address it. For verbal it is important to write strong essays an make sure they are well read. May I ask which schools you are targeting?

by giggle1050 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:03 pm
I am looking at Kellogg, Yale, Cornell, Tuck and Ross. I know all of them are beyong my range but I know I won't be happy in any other schools besides these.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

Re: How to explain low GMAT?

by Linda Abraham » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:47 pm
giggle1050 wrote:Hi Accepted team

I took GMAT twice but I am circling in the same range of 600s (620 to 640). I have been searching on this forum about the explanations people have given for low GMAT. Many people have used personal problems to justify low scores.
Is it okay to do that? The reason I am asking is that I am undergoing a divorce and admist all that I took GMAT twice. I didn't want to give that as an explanation because I am not sure how is it viewed by the Adcom... also I didn't want to gain anyone's sympathy.
But honestly, taking GMAT, was tough. I couldn't get books home to study. I had to either go to the local library or the coffee shop. I was also adjusting to a new country and a new job.
People usually have work stress to deal with, I had to deal with both work and personal.
I am sure once I am out of the situation and on my own I can get a better score. But, I didnt want to wait one whole year for that.

Let me know your thoughts
Certainly letting the admissions committee know the circumstances under which you took the test is a good idea. But this is a highly competitive environment and you should also apply to schools where your GMAT score is in the middle 80% range. Finally, in addition to providing the context, point the admissions reader to evidence of academic ability -- hopefully good grades as an undergraduate.

For more information, please see "Low Stats."

Best,
Linda
Linda Abraham
Accepted.com -- Helping You Write Your Best!
Accepted Blog
Accepted on Twitter
Accepted on Facebook