How to Effectively Study for GMAT Exam:Quantitative Section?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hey Folks! I am looking for some direction in terms of what's in-scope for the Math section of the GMAT exam. I visited the official GMAT website, and it mentioned: arithmetic, elementary algebra & commonly known concepts of geometry.

Each of the aforementioned, have an array of concepts / topics. Is it possible to clearly define the topics within each that I should study? Math is not my strongest suit, and I am facing a fairly tight timeline to write the GMAT and meet the enrolment deadline.

Ultimately, I am trying to avoid spending time studying concepts that will not be covered on the GMAT exam. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:36 am
tbog wrote:Hey Folks! I am looking for some direction in terms of what's in-scope for the Math section of the GMAT exam. I visited the official GMAT website, and it mentioned: arithmetic, elementary algebra & commonly known concepts of geometry.

Each of the aforementioned, have an array of concepts / topics. Is it possible to clearly define the topics within each that I should study? Math is not my strongest suit, and I am facing a fairly tight timeline to write the GMAT and meet the enrolment deadline.

Ultimately, I am trying to avoid spending time studying concepts that will not be covered on the GMAT exam. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
This is a very important question. I often see questions that are advertised as "GMAT questions" but are totally out of scope and require concepts not tested by the GMAT. Some common examples of out-of-scope concepts include normal distributions (in statistics), calculus, and questions that can be solved only by using the trig ratios (sine, cosine, tangent).

Then there are questions that test concepts that the GMAT tests, but are far too difficult (and time consuming) to ever be official GMAT questions.

All of this can be very frustrating for aspiring MBA students who are not interested in learning a bunch of math that will never be tested. These out-of-scope and insanely difficult questions can also erode one's confidence. Even I find all of this very frustrating.

Okay, that's my rant. Where's my answer?

Well, the Official Guide (OG) is the best place to start. It lists all of the concepts that the GMAT tests. However, even the OG includes (what I believe to be) superfluous information (just a bit). For example, the OG has a brief section on the quadratic formula, but I've never seen an official GMAT question that required knowledge of this. Having said that, the OG is still the number one resource out there, so yuo need to get it.

If you need additional materials to help learn the concepts that the GMAT tests, make sure you work with a reputable company that knows its stuff :-)

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by tbog » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:23 am
Thanks so much Brent!

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by shashank.ism » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:36 pm
that was a nice reply from Brent
My Websites:
www.mba.webmaggu.com - India's social Network for MBA Aspirants

www.deal.webmaggu.com -India's online discount, coupon, free stuff informer.

www.dictionary.webmaggu.com - A compact free online dictionary with images.

Nothing is Impossible, even Impossible says I'm possible.

by Gaurinath Singh » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:01 pm
hello friends GMAT EXAM :quantitative section related tips,online test, old paper etc please click https://www.mbaeducationguru.com/study-materials.html