How to choose from NON-top programs??

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

How to choose from NON-top programs??

by jru577 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:57 am
I live in the Philly area and am researching part time local programs. The ones I think I can get into and afford are:

Drexel (where I did my undergrad)
Villanova
Rugters- Camden
St. Joe's
Temple - (I think their program is too long and too much $$)

My gpa is a little low (2.88 ) but my gmat is good to make up for it (710). I also have about 10 yrs of varied corporate work exp.

My question is how to figure our how programs compare from a "perceived status" in the world outside of Philly. The only think I have to go on so far is that Drexel and Villanova are ranked in BW's top part-time programs. (10 and 11 respectively) I hear that Rutgers has some clout in the world, but since it's in my backyard (almost literally) I never think of it as much.

They all have their good features that I like, the concentration that I want, and Villanova, Rutgers and St. Joe's would all be the same cost both $ and time-wise.

I'm having trouble deciding - I've sent in apps to most so far, just a few more details to tie up. Any tips for deciding? Since none are on the top 10 lists like HSB, Wharton, or Stanford - does the "clout" of the school matter much?

Help a PHilly girl out!

GMAT Instructor
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_RedSoxFan » Fri May 02, 2008 2:22 pm
Great score, btw. Nice job.

** This is only my personal opinion **

By the way, I feel this way about law schools as well. My opinion is that unless we're talking about the tip-top tier of 15 schools or so, I would select the school that is the best fit for you personally and financially. I think some non-top-tier schools would have some clout regionally, but if you're looking to move away after graduation, and MBA is pretty much an MBA unless its from Wharton, Chicago, Stanford, HBS, etc.

With your work experience and GMAT-proven intellect, an MBA is probably just a feather in your cap rather than the foundation of a resume looking to make a big change.

I'd pick the school that makes the most sense financially and personally and be a little less concerned about relative rankings.

** End personal opinion **
Ryan S.
| GMAT Instructor |
Elite GMAT Preparation and Admissions Consulting
www.VeritasPrep.com

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Same Situation - Must decide Quick!

by Portercat » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:30 pm
Hi, I am in a similar situation to you. I got into the Villanova PMBA and LaSalle (both ACCSB acreditted). I've been told that Villanova is a much better program, but they aren't willing to waive any prereqs (I have an M.S., but limited business courses). I would need 57 credits in the Villanova program (19 courses)! I'll be there for the next 7 years!

LaSalle is willing to waive 3 courses and is much closer physically. I hope to spend my whole career in the Philly area. Do you have any advice? I need to make this decision this week for the Fall. Thanks!

I was hoping not to commute downtown, but the suburban offerings are limited.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:33 am
P -

While I agree with much of VP_Red Sox assessment (other than his profile name - go Det. Tigers!), I do believe that a school's alumni network can have a significant impact on the value of your MBA. Take USC for example, while the school's MBA program is not a top ranked, it has a fantastic reputation and strong alumni network on the West Coast... much better than other 'higher' ranked schools (at least from what I have seen).

In your situation, if you are interested in staying in Philly for the rest of your career, you should ask yourself which program would have a stronger alumni and career network, reputation, programs in the area. All of these resources will help you post-MBA (where I believe the real value of the MBA comes thru).

I understand there are other issues you need to weigh, but just wanted to throw out another variable to consider.

Regards,

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep