How personal can you be in your motivation essay?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I am now starting to write my motivation essay and to update my resume for my interview.

And I am slightly confused about how to justify my former academic background. I had some hiccups there, which are actually very personal and I don t want to seem whining or emotionally blackmailing the interview committee.

My background :
I was a brilliant student at high school, and opted to go to a business school after I graduated. Unfortunately, during the summer before I entered university, I was the victim of a rape and murder attempt, which happened on the campus of the university I was going to join.

When the term started, 2 months later, I was a nervous wreck, suffering from post-traumatic disorder. And I just could not cope with the requirements of academic life : being on my own, in a very competitive faculty... I just could not do it.
My exam results this winter were abysmal (which was a hard blow to me, I had never failed at anything at school before), I dropped.

The next year, I resumed my studies in History. Not that I wanted to become a History teacher, but it was a passion of mine when I was younger and my parents recommended me to use this advantage to get a degree. Even that was very tough.

Especially the final paper (150 pages, personal work). I could pass all the exams of my 4 years program, cramming it short term. But the long term and autonomous effort required to write this paper was still beyond my reach. I even left university to go to work, with all my exams passed (with very average scores), but without a degree because I still hadn t written this paper.

One year after, I enrolled again at university, while working full time, just to submit my paper and get my degree. My paper was not good but I got the degree and moved on with my professional career and my life.

Since then, everything got better. I have now a solid work background in the media and I want to join a MBA.

But I am a bit at a loss to explain my lack of former academic achievement.

If I don t, it just seems mediocre.
If I do ... well, I have to get very personal and I don t want unsettle the interview committee or putting pressure by pulling the "victim" card, so to speak. It s long gone and I want to be accepted for my potential, not out of compassion.

I guess I will have to mention it.
But should I mention it bluntly in my application essay or wait if the question rises up at the interview (which could seem like pulling a last minute tramp card, would put my interviewers into an unexpected situation, while taking the risk of starting this interview with a negative bias regarding my past education and potential) ?

Also, I am joining a MBA in China, and it s a more conservative society where these subjects are not openly talked about. I m also having a cultural problem here. My interview committee will probably constituted in majority by Chinese academics and alumni.

So, if any MBA admission professional could give me some advice about how to be honest about these particular circumstances and make the best (but honest) impression, while not falling into some uncomfortable drama, I would be extremely thankful.

Also, my apologies for the readers this post could have upset or troubled in any way. I am well aware people come here to get study tips and advice and can be taken aback by this very intimate story.

I also would much prefer to limit myself to QUANT theory instead of reviving these memories. But, in the particular circumstance of my interview to come, I can t seem to be able to figure out a middle way.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by wonda123 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:00 am
I think you have to be open and upfront with the AdComm - just like you were here. They appreciate honesty and humility above all things - so if its the truth, dont be afraid to tell your story and dont spare them the personal details, if it is a part of who you are. I think you could have a great application - you just need to show what you learned from the tragedy and how you were able to overcome it. I wish you the best of luck.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by babochina » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:24 pm
thank you very much for the advice wonda :-)
i ll mention it in my motivation essay

and it s a long gone bad chapter of my life (it happened 14y ago)

but getting back to studying for my GMAT made me realize i had avoided all these years any intellectual or academic effort because i had been so disappointed and ashamed with myself and my performances during my time at university (as mentioned, i was very good at high school and everybody, myself included, expected of me to be a top student at university)

i like to study, i had "forgotten" about it
i m having fun preparing this GMAT, i m feeling i m back in touch with a part of myself. it feels good actually

but all this good will of mine does not mean per se i have the intellectual capacities and the right effort made!
i still have work to do ... ;-)

it s the best way i have to give a good impression to my jury :-)