How Many People Take the GMAT?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

How Many People Take the GMAT?

by Toddius » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:20 am
How many people take the GMAT each year? I googled this and saw answers ranging from 100k to 300k. Anyone have a source? I got a 720 - and I know my percentile rank - but I guess I'd like to know what that means. Since there are only about 20,000 or so spots in the top 30, I'd like to get a better idea of where I stand, competitively.

Obviously people that took the test in previous years could apply this year, and I realize that some people take the test multiple times. Is the data available anywhere for us to look at?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by hijinx85 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:54 am
I think it's too difficult an analysis.

An easier approach is to look at Kellogg's data (the only top program that releases admit data per gmat score).

They divide applicants by gmat score range, and then tell you how many people applied and how many people enrolled for every cohort.

The only problem is that they tell you about enrolled applicants, as opposed to admitted. So then you'd have to find out Kellogg's yield % (also public).

Of course the Yield wouldn't be lineal -one would assume that the higher the gmat, the lower the yield.

So you can assume lineal and say "my chances are higher than X". Last time I did an analysis like that I calculated about 35% shot of getting into Kellogg if you scored >750 (and, therefore, most other top programs).

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members

by apphelp » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:29 am
Toddius wrote:How many people take the GMAT each year? I googled this and saw answers ranging from 100k to 300k. Anyone have a source? I got a 720 - and I know my percentile rank - but I guess I'd like to know what that means. Since there are only about 20,000 or so spots in the top 30, I'd like to get a better idea of where I stand, competitively.

Obviously people that took the test in previous years could apply this year, and I realize that some people take the test multiple times. Is the data available anywhere for us to look at?
Hi,

You can get all data from the official channel : https://www.gmac.com/gmac/researchandtrends/gmatstats/

Its available publicly. How many people took GMAT... How many score reports were sent...

But honestly this mathematical calculation wont help. The better thing to do will be to look at acceptance rates / # of seats at B schools and then decide.

Apphelp Team
Apphelp : India's # 1 MBA admissions consultancy

Confused about schools? Need help with Essay Review? Need mock interviews?
All these questions have a single answer : APPHELP (apphelp.co.in)
Phone: +91 9871354580
Blog: https://www.blog.apphelp.co.in

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:31 members
GMAT Score:620

by Kaneisha Grayson » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:30 am
Hi Toddius,

My main question for you is - How is knowing the answer to this going to help you with your MBA applications?

As is often said, the top schools could fill their class with 750+ GMAT scorers but they don't. Your percentile rank combined with the data on score ranges from your top schools is all you really need to know regarding how well you fit in to the class test-wise.

Would the answer to your question help you decide whether you want to retake the test?

One of the first lessons we learned in business school is not to waste time crunching numbers if we don't know how having the answer is going to help us move forward.

Perhaps the analysis is just for fun, but I wouldn't spend too much time trying to figure this out (or any other complex calculations related to your probability of getting in). Instead, focus on putting together a stellar application, something you've already taken the first step toward accomplishing.

Good luck!

Kaneisha
Harvard Business School MBA 2010, Harvard Kennedy School MPA 2010
Founder, The Art of Applying
Admissions Consulting for MBA, MPP, Joint Degrees, and Fellowships
https://theartofapplying.com

Want free advice that actually works? Sign up for my weekly MBA, MPP, and JD newsletter here: https://theartofapplying.com/newsletter/

My clients have earned over $3.1 million in fellowships from Harvard and other top MBA, MPP, and JD programs since 2010.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Toddius » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:07 am
Thank you for the replies. All 3 of those replies were helpful in different ways. I did not know that Kellogg released that info, so that was helpful, and obviously I didn't know that gmac put those numbers out.

Kaneisha - appreciate the perspective. I guess I like to try to figure out my worst case scenario:) Not necessarily a useful pursuit, but true to my personality. All of the uncertainty is tough. Appreciate the comment.

Thanks again to all. - Todd

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ThebDouglas » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:54 pm
Love the condescending response....Is knowing how many people die in car accidents every year going to help me drive better? Doubtfully, but it is still interesting to know...Consultants, what are they good for?
Kaneisha Grayson wrote:Hi Toddius,

My main question for you is - How is knowing the answer to this going to help you with your MBA applications?

As is often said, the top schools could fill their class with 750+ GMAT scorers but they don't. Your percentile rank combined with the data on score ranges from your top schools is all you really need to know regarding how well you fit in to the class test-wise.

Would the answer to your question help you decide whether you want to retake the test?

One of the first lessons we learned in business school is not to waste time crunching numbers if we don't know how having the answer is going to help us move forward.

Perhaps the analysis is just for fun, but I wouldn't spend too much time trying to figure this out (or any other complex calculations related to your probability of getting in). Instead, focus on putting together a stellar application, something you've already taken the first step toward accomplishing.

Good luck!

Kaneisha

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Sheriff » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:28 am
By the way, does anyone know how many people take the GRE? that's interesting...