How does one handle timing of offers?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

How does one handle timing of offers?

by gheemo » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:41 am
Hello - I have applied in R1 to Duke (Fuqua). Assuming I get in, their official transcript and non-refundable tuition deposit of $1,500 is due March 22. I also just turned in a R2 application to Northwestern (Kellogg), and they release decisions on March 28. Let's optimistically assume I get in at Duke and Kellogg. How do I handle the timing of it all? I imagine I can't tell Duke that I'm awaiting a decision from Kellogg before I turn in the deposit! So to secure my spot at Duke while I await Kellogg's decision am I just out that deposit money (assuming I end up at Kellogg)? I'm just not sure how to handle admissions decisions stemming from different rounds. Again, this is wishful thinking but I'm trying to be proactive on what I might face.

Thanks to anyone that can provide advice!

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:01 pm
gheemo wrote:Hello - I have applied in R1 to Duke (Fuqua). Assuming I get in, their official transcript and non-refundable tuition deposit of $1,500 is due March 22. I also just turned in a R2 application to Northwestern (Kellogg), and they release decisions on March 28. Let's optimistically assume I get in at Duke and Kellogg. How do I handle the timing of it all? I imagine I can't tell Duke that I'm awaiting a decision from Kellogg before I turn in the deposit! So to secure my spot at Duke while I await Kellogg's decision am I just out that deposit money (assuming I end up at Kellogg)? I'm just not sure how to handle admissions decisions stemming from different rounds. Again, this is wishful thinking but I'm trying to be proactive on what I might face.

Thanks to anyone that can provide advice!
Yes I think you will be out of $1,500. My friend is going through this right now and he said to me "in the big scheme of things... it's not an ideal situation to be in but... considering the cost of going to b-school it's a drop in the bucket."
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by hman768 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:37 pm
I wouldn't just send them the check. I would call and ask for more time. I wouldn't say b/c you're waiting on another school, but I would say something like, "I just need more time - can I have a week." My understanding is that once you're admitted it is extremely unlikely they will ever withdraw an offer - they're basically two completely separate offices - so it really can't hurt to ask.

GMAT Score:760

by Ttronn » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:57 pm
hman768 wrote:I wouldn't just send them the check. I would call and ask for more time. I wouldn't say b/c you're waiting on another school, but I would say something like, "I just need more time - can I have a week." My understanding is that once you're admitted it is extremely unlikely they will ever withdraw an offer - they're basically two completely separate offices - so it really can't hurt to ask.
+1 to Hman.

Try not to make it obvious you are waiting for another acceptance. I'm sure these top schools are familiar with the various deadlines of peer schools so I'd expect the Fuqua Adcoms to know R2 Kellogg decisions are expected around the 28th.

Maybe if you said you needed a little more time to ensure you can secure the financing necessary to attend Duke and that you have to speak with family before knowing for certain whether its plausible. This isn't likely the most persuasive excuse, but I can't see an adcom having a problem with it.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:42 members
GMAT Score:740

by Jessica@VeritasPrep » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:06 am
While it probably won't hurt you to ask, unless it is financially detrimental to you, I think you should send in your deposit (assuming you are serious about attending Duke - do NOT send in deposits to a bunch of schools just to keep your options open!. As an earlier poster said, it is a small cost in the big scheme of things (particularly if Kellogg is your first choice). The schools know that some people who send in deposits will end up going elsewhere (this is one of the reasons people tend to get in off of waiting lists around the time decisions are released!).

If you DO decide that it is too big of a financial strain and want to ask Fuqua, I may try to ask the question anonymously and see how much resistance you are met with (maybe they are happy to extend students an extra week!). The worst that can happen is that they say no. They won't rescind your offer, but, I also don't think it bodes well for you and I don't think it is fair to other applicants who are on wait lists and need to make similar financial decisions. However, in the end, it is up to you do to what you feel is most ethical given your financial situation!

Jessica
Jessica
MBA Admissions Consultant
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

by bln123 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:14 am
Hey.
I have no experience with these schools in particular, but I was admitted to three top European schools and needed time. I just told one that I was waiting for a final decision of the other one...simple as that.

Of course the schools know that they are in competition almost as much as we applicants are in comp. with each other