How do you guys in mgmt consulting find time to study?

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Just wondering - I may have a job lined up that will require a great deal of North American travel... 5-6 days per week. But at the same time I don't want my GMAT studies to take a hit either - and given how Saturdays will pretty much be the only full free day I get to study, how do you guys in the management consulting field who are currently studying for the GMAT find time to do so? Especially after putting in 12-14 hour days where you basically have no other time during the week other than to sleep + work.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by cs97mmr2 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:03 am
I'm in Management Consulting and prepped for my GMAT from Feb to June. I was lucky that in all of that time I didn't do much travel, just had the typical 10-12 hour day.

I guess it depends on how much you want it really. I scored 540 on my GMAT first time round and knew that if I didn't do it this year then I might as well forget about it. So I put everything in to it and forgot about everything else, it became my sole obsession. It helps that I have an understanding wife!

The only way you will get a decent score is if you do 2 hours at least each night on the weekday and a few more hours on the weekend with a practice test if possible. I used to do 2 hours a night Mon-Thur, up to 5 hours on a Saturday and a practice test on the Sunday. You have to be disciplined and innovative. Come what may you need to set aside 2 hours every week night else, unless you're a genius, it's unlikely you will hit 700.

You probably think that's not much help but my main message is if you want it badly enough you have to make the time!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by gmatpill » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:42 pm
Well, as a former management consultant I can tell you it's not easy. But you can consider some online options that are geared towards efficiency since you are limited by time. Consistency every night before you go to bed is important for reinforcement. Let the weekends be your hardcore sessions---at least 3 sessions on those days---each session 2-3 hours.

You can try this plan: https://www.gmatpill.com/the-gmat-pill-m ... tudy-plan/

And yes, make sure you utilize your hotel room's internet service (expensed) so you can take advantage of online resources!