HOW BAD IS AWA 4.5 ?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

HOW BAD IS AWA 4.5 ?

by tarun'susername » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:42 am
Hi
I recently gave GMAT Exam and scored 720. Verbal-40 and Quant 49
Yesterday , I got my official score report . I have got just 4.5 in my essays.

I am planning to apply to the top programs in europe like oxford, cambridge and LBS. Could anyone please tell me how damaging is the 4.5 score?

Thanks in Advance
Tarun

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by p2dski » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:14 am
I read in The Princeton Review's Cracking the GMAT that it all depends. If you are a non-native English speaking, it is pretty critical. Apparently colleges and universities are the ones who asked for the writing section to be added to the GMAT. This is because non-native English speakers would pay native English speakers to write their Essays for college admittance so on paper their essays were great, but once they actually entered the university, they would have terrible writing skills.

If you are a native speaker of English it is just something that might inspire admission councilors to overlook a lacking Verbal score. So if you didn't score too hot on the Verbal section, then a 6 on the essay looks really good. If you scored a 45+ on the English they aren't going to really pay too much attention to your AWA.

If you are a native English speaker and you scored a 51Q/38V and a 4.5 on the AWA then its a bit difficult to say how the universities will perceive your scores.
"Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success." -Napoleon Hill