Hough Graduate School of Business (UF Online MBA)

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi everyone, first post so sorry if I may have missed a prior posting! I don't see this school listed under "MBA Watch". Does anyone know anything about the program? It was my understanding that this program is highly accredited and is known in general to be a good school. Maybe I'm wrong??

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by sieken » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:14 pm
UF is a strong regional school, but online programs are not viewed in the same light as in-person MBAs because you miss out on many aspects of the degree, namely network building. Also, they do not attract the same caliber of student so the connections you make coming out of an online MBA will arguably be worth less in the long run. If you are looking for a convenient MBA, I would look at part-time programs or EMBA programs and stay away from the online.

by DFritschy » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:35 pm
Thank you for the reply and advice! In my current situation I manage a North American sales territory and fly roughly 25 weeks out of the year. With my crazy schedule it's nearly impossible to dedicate set times during the week to physically be present for classes. I'm planning on my mba 50% because it's required by some (not all) companies in my industry for top of the line management positions, and 50% for my own personal experience. So...I'm still thinking I can only handle online programs unfortunately.

by cking6178 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:11 am
sieken wrote:UF is a strong regional school, but online programs are not viewed in the same light as in-person MBAs because you miss out on many aspects of the degree, namely network building. Also, they do not attract the same caliber of student so the connections you make coming out of an online MBA will arguably be worth less in the long run. If you are looking for a convenient MBA, I would look at part-time programs or EMBA programs and stay away from the online.
Hi Sieken,

This is an extremely short sighted and narrow view of online programs. If you were talking about schools like Devry, UoP, or Strayer (etc...) then I would be inclined to agree with you. However, there are quite a few high quality programs that offer an online version of their traditional MBA - UNC Kenan-Flagler, ASU WP Carey, UF Hough, Duke Fuqua, and Indiana Kelley all come to mind. Your argument about networking and not attracting the same caliber is flawed because, I assume, you have done little or no research on these programs. Are the "average" test scores as high for the online component as they are for their traditional counterparts? No, but that is because there is a different dynamic - the person that is applying to the online component already has a hectic work schedule and personal commitments (hence the allure of an online format), therefore they cannot and do not (on average) devote the same amount of study prep as their colleagues who are planning to quit their jobs and return to school. The schools I mentioned above all have residency requirements that include networking events and require a hefty amount of team projects. Also, the majority of people exploring the online format are not looking to change industry, as is the case with the majority of full timers, and they are also typically already in leadership roles or being groomed for a leadership role in their company. To say that the connections you make in an online format will be "arguably worth less" ignores the fact that these people are already in leadership roles and will continue to grow their responsibilities. Also, the aforementioned programs confer the same degree to their online students as their full time students, thus the only way a future employer would no that you completed your MBA in an online format is if you shared that information with them - thus eliminating your perceived stigma of online MBA's. Now, I am by no means arguing that an online format better than a full time program. I am simply providing evidence against your perception of the format. I have done exhaustive research into online programs, trying to figure out if the investment will yield a proper return and came across some interesting results. To dismiss those of us that are pursuing our MBA via online as "lower caliber" is flatly false. We are just at different points in our lives and have commitments that prevent us from quitting our jobs to return to school and I will argue that my ROI will be greater because I don't have to quit my job and therefore the opportunity cost is lower for me. Full disclosure, I have applied to UF Hough, UNC Kenan-Flagler, & ASU WP Carey - am awaiting decisions from Kenan-Flagler & Carey and have been accepted to Hough.

Cheers!