Holstein cows

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:720

Holstein cows

by uymba » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:45 pm
For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with high-energy feed,and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year.

A. providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows
are producing
B. providing them with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow
produces
C. provided with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are
producing
D. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces
E. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce

OA is E. Can someone explain the issue of the verbs? Shouldn't be applying to the first part of the sentence?

Thanks in advance.
=============
Go for 700+!!
https://mbajourney12.blocked/

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Re: Holstein cows

by kpetrova123 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:56 pm
uymba wrote:For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with high-energy feed,and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year.

A. providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows
are producing
produces
C. provided with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are
producing
D. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces
E. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce

OA is E. Can someone explain the issue of the verbs? Shouldn't be applying to the first part of the sentence?

Thanks in advance.
Since the non-underlined portion of the sentence was referring to them, meaning the cows, I first ruled out B and D, which have the Holstein cow
as subject. B is not parallel: providing and milked, so left with A and E. A has the wrong verb tense are producing, which should refer to a particular past moment, which is not the case, so i believe E is the correct answer. Hope this makes sense

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by thetrystero » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:49 pm
uymba wrote:For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with high-energy feed,and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year.

are producing
produces
producing

Thanks in advance.
"For the farmer who .." presents a hypothetical "cause" in the future, thus the "effect" on the cows should be in the future as well. The only option with the correct verb tense is E.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by Vemuri » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:20 pm

are producing
produces
producing

Thanks in advance.
I thought A is the correct answer. E for me has 3 different tenses. Let me explain my reasoning:

For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, - This is in Simple presentprovided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly - This is in Simple past
Holstein cows will produce an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year. - This is in Future tense.

With so many tense variations, how am I supposed to determine what the author is trying to say? Please help clear this confusion?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by snsubbu » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:32 pm
Hi vemuri / petrova

I feel E changes the meaning of the sentence. Does it not mean tht 'farmer is provided with high energy feed and xxxxx'. The message that cows are being provided with high energy feed and xxxxx is not clear.

I feel A is right. Can you explain.

Also uymba, can you please tell us the source of this question?

Thanks a ton

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:720

by uymba » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:40 am
The source of the question is GMAT PREP CAT 2.

I understand why people chose E.
Anyway, my concern is why and how both verbs "provided" and "milked" apply to "holstein cows".

I mean, it seems like that is a list of actions:

Farmers who:
- take care
- provided
- milked

So the different tenses of the verbs changes should be explained somehow.

Perhaps it is not a list (which I doubt) and "provided" and "milked" modifies "holstein cows" (because they can not modify " who takes care to keep them cool"), but a middle modifier modifies what is before it.

Any thaughts or conclusions about it?

Thanks.
=============
Go for 700+!!
https://mbajourney12.blocked/