High school sports teams

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:43 members
GMAT Score:640

High school sports teams

by GmatKiss » Fri May 25, 2012 12:55 pm
The number of students who play for Town X's high school sports teams is greater than the number of students who play for Town Y's high school sports teams. Because of their greater participation in school athletics, the high school student population of Town X is more physically fit than that of Town Y.

Each of the following, if true, weakens the conclusion above EXCEPT:

There are more high school students in Town X than in Town Y.
Most high school students in Town Y go to school in Town X and play on their high schools' sports teams.
High school sports teams in Town X play and practice for fewer hours per week than do high school sports teams in Town Y.
Many high school athletes from Town Y play only on club teams not affiliated with any high schools.
High school sports teams in Town Y accept freshman athletes, whereas high school sports teams in Town X do not.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:620

by heymayank08 » Fri May 25, 2012 11:13 pm
e for me

GMAT Score:700

by Gaurav 2013-fall » Tue May 29, 2012 10:14 am
E strengthens rather than weaken.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:640

by chetansharma » Wed May 30, 2012 7:55 pm
IMO A.

The information provided in option A does not have any effect on the conclusion ("the high school student population of Town X is more physically fit than that of Town Y"). So A does not weaken the conclusion.

What is the OA?

Regards,
Chetan Sharma.
If my post helped you - let me know by pushing the thanks button :wink:

Followed by:1 members

by 1947 » Wed May 30, 2012 9:51 pm
E for ne as well.
ABCD all are weakeners while E is neither a weakener nor a strengthner
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button. Thanks

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by nitingoel » Wed May 30, 2012 10:11 pm
[spoiler](E)[/spoiler] for me too. GmatKiss what's the OA?

Regards
Nitin

Followed by:19 members
GMAT Score:740

by Birottam Dutta » Wed May 30, 2012 10:44 pm
E is the answer.

We have to find the option which strengthens the assertion that the student population of town X is more fit than the student population of town Y.

If E is true, then teams do Y have lesser high school students in their teams because they take athletes from college as well (the freshmen). Also, town X takes only high school students and has greater number of students participating that in town Y. So, town Y will have even lesser students in the teams on account of the freshmen intake into their teams.

This certainly strengthens the conclusion that the high school population of town X is more physically fit than that of town Y.

Hope this is correct!!

by jimmyjimmy » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:18 pm
now E seems fine..

Legendary Member
Followed by:70 members

by karthikpandian19 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:12 pm
We're told that there are more high school students on teams in Town X than in Town Y. Based on this, the author concludes that students in Town X are in better shape than students in Town Y. We're asked to identify the answer choice that does NOT weaken the argument.

Choice A states that there are more high school students in Town X; this weakens the argument because it means that the greater number of high school students on Town X's sports teams may simply be a result of the larger population.

Choice B states that most students in Town Y both go to school and play sports in Town X. This weakens the argument. Since high school sports teams in Town X are made up of students from both towns, we cannot determine which town has more students who are physically fit.

Choice C states that the teams in Town X play and practice for fewer hours than do the sports teams in Town Y. This undermines the argument by casting doubt on the assumption that a student who is on a Town X sports team is in better shape than a student in Town Y.

Choice D states that many high school athletes in Town Y play on club teams and not on high school teams. This weakens the conclusion because it undermines the correlation between the number of students on school teams and the number of physically fit high school students.

Choice E states that the teams in Town Y accept freshmen athletes while the teams in Town X do not. If true, this fact supports the argument by showing that although there is a portion of the high school population in Town X that is not eligible to play sports, high school sports teams in Town X still have more student athletes than high school sports teams in Town Y.

Choice E is correct.
Regards,
Karthik
The source of the questions that i post from JUNE 2013 is from KNEWTON

---If you find my post useful, click "Thank" :) :)---
---Never stop until cracking GMAT---