High School Education/Experiences

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:710

High School Education/Experiences

by tonytony » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:20 am
I am an early career applicant, and I know that my education might be scrutinized more heavily than more experienced candidates. Given this, I have two questions about my high school education:

(1) Should I include my high school, high school degree, significant awards/achievements on my CV?

(2) Should a high school experience be the subject of an application essay? I have a very significant leadership experience from high school that I'd love to talk about, but then again, do not want to appear as though I have not had any significant leadership responsibilities since.

Thanks!!!!!!!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

Re: High School Education/Experiences

by Linda Abraham » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:50 am
tonytony wrote:I am an early career applicant, and I know that my education might be scrutinized more heavily than more experienced candidates. Given this, I have two questions about my high school education:

(1) Should I include my high school, high school degree, significant awards/achievements on my CV?

(2) Should a high school experience be the subject of an application essay? I have a very significant leadership experience from high school that I'd love to talk about, but then again, do not want to appear as though I have not had any significant leadership responsibilities since.

Thanks!!!!!!!
Are you applying straight from college or have you graduated already?
Linda Abraham
Accepted.com -- Helping You Write Your Best!
Accepted Blog
Accepted on Twitter
Accepted on Facebook

by tonytony » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:59 am
I will be applying with 2 years work experience (by the time of matriculation). Thanks!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

Re: High School Education/Experiences

by Linda Abraham » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:09 pm
tonytony wrote:I am an early career applicant, and I know that my education might be scrutinized more heavily than more experienced candidates. Given this, I have two questions about my high school education:

Thanks!!!!!!!
Details and specifics could change my answers, but in most cases, this is how I would respond.
  • 1) Given that you already will have two years of FT experience, I would not include any high school awards on your CV. If you had something truly unusual, you might include it in the awards section of your application.
  • 2) I am afraid that making that high school experience the main subject will emphasize your youth. What you could do is make it a springboard to show a pattern of leadership that started years ago, developed in college, and continues into your professional career. If you have to choose one experience, I would go for something more recent.
In general, graduate business programs couldn't care less about your high school experience. It's college and beyond that count. Including earlier experiences unless the school either asks for them (UCLA) or they are truly exceptional or formative would just make you seem ...young.
Linda Abraham
Accepted.com -- Helping You Write Your Best!
Accepted Blog
Accepted on Twitter
Accepted on Facebook

by tonytony » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:06 pm
Thanks a lot!