Hi Stacy - please evaluate my profile

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Hi Stacy - please evaluate my profile

by momentary_lapse » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:09 pm
Hi Stacy,

Here are my details:

1) Indian, male, Information Technology for the last 6 years.

2) Position currently held: Senior software consultant

3) GPA : 3.8 - 4.0

4) International work ex: Last 3.5 years in the US.

4) GMAT : 760 (Q50 V42) havent got the AWA score yet.

5) Job description: Started out a a programmer for about 2 years. Moved to module lead where I was in charge of the technical aspect of the project with about 3 - 4 people. Role included training newcomers, handling any technical issues and providing solutions to the client. Last 1.5 years I have been like an onsite manager with a team of about 15-16 at offshore (they also have a manager there). Im responsible for a smooth workflow between onsite and offshore, address any issues that offshore may have technically and any communication that needs to be done with the client. I also work with the client to understand expectations they have from offshore and come up with processes for offshore to follow with respect to the handling of requests, quality of delivery etc) Besides these, I also provide design solutions for major projects which have had a pretty big impact on the client's business in certain areas. The client is a big shipping company which is diversifying into the logistics business and handling the integration of my client and its customers electronically to reduce paperwork and improve turnaround time is my speciality. I have appreciations from business which have quotes stating the percentage of improvement (10% to 84%) anf the fact that this is extraordinary. I think I can get very good recommendations from my manager and director at the client site and the manager of my own company.

I also worked in a start-up for about 6 months and helped them build a whole electronic integration system after which I left to move to my current client.

6) Extra-curriculars:
I played sports for college - 3 different sports. I trained in table tennis while here in the US and was the most improved player over the year 2004 amongst all the people at the club. I also played cricket in the bay area community and have been the player of the series in one tournament and have about 4-5 man of the match awards. Was the captain my my team last year and we finished 10th out of 81 teams. The year before that the rank was 45th.

7) I am currently in a six sigma black belt certification for quality which is a course certified by PMI (Project Management Institute) and can be counted as a PMP course. By this time next year, I should have completed my PMP certification also.

i do not have much community service in the recent past.

Please let me know what you think of my profile and what other aspects I should touch on. Please let me know if there is anything I should look for.

Thanks
mlapse

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:57 pm
If you read through some of the posts in the Ask Stacy Blackman part of the forum you will hopefully understand why I say that there is not much here that helps to differentiate you from a lot of other applicants in the pool. Even your extra curricular activities are similar to those of other Indian Engineers. You have a lot going for you but will need to think about how you can make yourself stand out through your personal story, passions, goals... Your work experience and activities are opportunities to illustrate your uniqueness but as you have laid them out here, they do not do the trick! Your activities are a good place to focus your energy. You should become involved with something beyond sports or expand your sports to encompass community involvement or something a bit broader than what you have right now.
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me